• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For sale - Late bay complete disc setup

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I've got a complete front disc brake setup from a late Bay window for sale. These are the uprated parts as originally fitted to August '72 onwards buses, but will fit onto the suspension arms of any bay window. This means you use the late calipers and pads on a '68-'70 to replace the drum brakes, or use them to uprate a '71/'72 with the later brakes.

If you've been having problems with binding or sticky calipers, it's amazing the difference rebuilt calipers will make to how it feels to drive, not to mention the improvement in fuel consumption!

It comprises:

Spindles, discs (seem good except for rust from sitting around my workshop for the last 8 years) which would probably clean up when used), backing plates. These come complete including wheel bearings which spin freely.

DSC_8939.jpg

(While it looks like there is a notch in the RH spindle, above, this is just dried-on grease)

DSC_8940.jpg

Two ('73 on) brake calipers. I rebuilt these to put on my own bus, before finding they won't fit as mine has the earlier brakes.

They have been sand-blasted, primed and painted (with rattle cans).

DSC_8941.jpg

I did fit seals to these calipers, but have since removed them (so I could use the seals on the calipers on my bus).

DSC_8942.jpg

The piston bores in the calipers are clean, but the pistons themselves have a few small scores. I'd have no hesitation in using them.

DSC_8943.jpg

As for price, there are two options.

For the lot, as is, with calipers just needing seals - £70.

With brand new seals, fitted to the calipers - £120. (Seal kits are £20 each from VW Heritage, plus postage etc).

Will happily split if I can find buyers for all the bits, or will swap for '71/'72 parts. I'm after at least one '71/'72 caliper as a spare. :)

Can be collected from Bristol, or I am in Yeovil most weekdays/weekday evenings. Could deliver nearby for fuel money :)

Latest posts