• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Heater wanted for van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollatine

Reaction score
im looking for a heater to use in the van, plugged into the leisure powered inverter. Just need the other half to be warm enough for October camping. How do you heat your van when the engine is off? Putting the gas ring on just creates condensation. I once saw an inbuilt electric heater I think in a Westfalia but not sure. Answers please

Simple rule- use batteries for light and fuel for heat.

Honestly, don't bother using an electric heater. Anything that'll warm your van is going to be 1kW+, which means using 83Amps of 12V current. Your generator is capable of providing 25A, an alternator 55A, so even with the engine at full chat you'll flatten the battery.

A 100Ah leisure battery- that's about as big as you can get- would last an 1 hour 15 minutes, max.

If you want camping heat, you need an eberspacher or a propex, really. Those portable heaters that run on canisters of gas just exhaust to atmosphere, which in a sealed camper is a death trap.

I use a Webasto (similar to a new Eberspacher) 2kw petrol heater. It's fed from the petrol tank and uses around 1/2 liter an hour or less if it's turned down low. So as long as you have petrol in the tank you've got heat.

A lot of people like the Propex gas heaters which works using propane/butane. If you already have a place for a gas bottle that may work for you, but as I only use a small portable gas stove with it's own canisters I prefered this set up.

Having a heater makes all the difference when the evenings turn chilly!

:)

Happystamps said:
Simple rule- use batteries for light and fuel for heat.

Honestly, don't bother using an electric heater. Anything that'll warm your van is going to be 1kW+, which means using 83Amps of 12V current. Your generator is capable of providing 25A, an alternator 55A, so even with the engine at full chat you'll flatten the battery.

A 100Ah leisure battery- that's about as big as you can get- would last an 1 hour 15 minutes, max.

If you want camping heat, you need an eberspacher or a propex, really. Those portable heaters that run on canisters of gas just exhaust to atmosphere, which in a sealed camper is a death trap.

You could get a gas/electric heater so that if on hookup your not using gas but, the electric which is usually included in the pitch?

Thanks for your tips guys. I think the propex/eber option can get quite pricey? I have decided to use the electric blanket for now. Seems to work ok on the inverter and will get things started in the bed area at least :)

I've had similar discussions on Late Bay Forum and have bought thermal window screens from JK -amazing value and good quality and delivered in 24 hours. Let's see if they work next week!! I reckon 20 mins with the gas stove then turn off before bedding down should do the trick!!

Just in case you are being serious ...

Most gas ring, cookers, etc. tell you NOT to use them to heat the interior of tents, caravans, vans as it is dangerous.

Get a heater, more jumpers or better sleeping bag.

Phil .... Being serious!!!

and get a carbon monoxide alarm for your van if you plan to use any form of carbon based heating ... you can die pretty quickly in a sealed van with the gas on.

The propex heater takes air into the heater from the outside and then exhausts to the outside but I still used a CO monitor. Have now taken it out tho cos it takes a lot of space. It will run off your propane for the cooker, so is probably your best option if you plan to do a lot of cold weather camping but they are expensive and you have to drill a few holes !

Now I am just using thermal window shields from JK: a memory foam mattress topper and warm clothing !

Thanks for advice Phil. P'raps I should have emphasised keeping the van well-ventilated. This was a follow-on comment from TLB Forum. We have a built in gas hob and would only use that with door open but it would warm bus up boiling a kettle. Certainly don't leave unattended!!!!
You'll note on Late Bay Forum I expressed concern over CO2 etc.

All I do is boil the kettle (warms the van a touch) fill two hot water bottles and put one at my feet and the other at the small of my back then boom! It's morning before you know it!

Maybe the bottle of whiskey I drank helped too :mrgreen:

Latest posts