help pricing the van to sell

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six

Reaction score
I need some objective help here valuing the Van. It was never an intention to sell however the little one is not happy in the back on own without windows and the missus doenst like sitting in back listening to re-runs of pepper pig!

I am in not a big rush to sell as i love it but will be gone im sure in the next few months.

Its a early (sept 1967) Cali import LHD Panel Van. 99% OG paint It was imported in 2009 I had it since Oct of that year.

The good bad and ugly details

Body and exterior:
Its had 2 front repair panels in front floor and the lip round at the bottom of the windscreen replaced and paint blended. The bad bit is it was done wrong way round so there is a little bit of surface rust on the floors but its water tight and needs a tidy.

There is a little bit of rust on each dogleg other than that imo is quiet good. Once the running gear was sorted, it was waxoyled.
bluebird pop-out rear window.
deanos most excellent westy toe-bar
JK 3 bow roof rack

Mechanical:
(work done since I have had it)
Fully refurbished front beam (Ball joints etc0 Adjusters on front beam, red9 3" lowered spring plates on rear new donuts etc.
Late bay steering box conversion
Buttys accelerator linkage.
new Master cylinder, break lines, shoes/pads, wheel cyliners flexi-pipes all round
Late bay front disks completed with new disks/pads and calipers
Repro porsche 356 chrome steels with big moon VW hubcaps excellent rubber less than 1000 miles.

Engine:

2027cc Type 1
Autolinea high roof case
Full flowed
Mahle Barrels and pistons (the good ones)
web 86 cam
1.25:1 rockers
blueprinted pump etc
CB rotary pump
compression 8.1:1
Fuel injection shroud
36 Dellorto DRLA with 32 vents
Mocal 19 row cooler with auto fan.
Vintage Speed Exhaust.
8 Dowel flywheel with Kennedy Stage 1/Kush loc clutch

GearBox:
Justin Pane t25 6 rib. tall 0.82 4th for cruising complete overhaul etc.
EMPI hurst shifter - rivits replaced with ss bolts as this is their weak point.
New bushes etc in gear shaft.

Interior:
sound deadened throughout with Spectrum Sludge or DAMPLIFIER PRO (doors roof panels the lot)
Front seats recovered vinyl
3 point belts in front, one in rear, one isofix
usual array of guages to look at oil psi/temp volts (VDO) Dakota Cyl head temp
Cab bunk

In the rear is a full width Rock and roll bead recovered along with new foam throughout.
Good quality interior with sink and big fridge for your beers
Camping battery 100AH
Reflective foil covered Ply liner and carpet covered in grey nice and cool in south of france!

Thats all i can remember, im sure there is other stuffs. Its not something id want to sell but needs must.

I think ill sell the rack tow bar and awning separatly.

some discussion on prices on options for:
1) the lot
2) van minus engine/gearbox as theses are getting expensive to build these days. selling it without might enable it to sell and ill add it to next purchase.

ZTQnUTV.jpg

Plenty of pics here --> https://imgur.com/a/KAwBa

I would think if you can find a stock engine and box to stick in it and that would be your best way to sell the van and then you have the engine and gearbox to sell on too!

Vans seem to be the same money or there abouts with or without all the modifications done.

Pricing a van at what its worth, and pricing to sell are also two very different things, I think you have wisely titled the thread ;)

This is just my personal opinion.

Wish you all the luck with it and your future endevours,

Alex

This might sound daft but have you considered sourcing a sliding door from a van that has windows? :msn4:

Alex fair points, I love the torquey motor and should keep it for next o e for sure. We just sold house, price I want vs price ppl will pay is very different. Challenge is to find a point I. Middle.

Gvee yes that is an option the ISO fix is on the door side. Plan f is to do a full restore and paint and add a bus sliding door. I did this on my old t25 pre kids and was a good trade off

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I am thinking about buying a new engine, and I have a good tp and box too, but probably couldn't afford the spec on yours, I don't really know what they go for, I was tempted to buy from the states.

You may well get a good price for the bus and sell the engine etc seperate, could you wait till summer time, may well get a better price then.

It does sound pretty sorted and would make a great van, but maybe people are looking for westys, panels maybe a harder market?

Good luck with the sale

Alistair

Yeah I think panels are more niche. Not sure what that spec engine would go for? Jim at stateside built it. 100s ? 1000s? These are honest problems when I didn't intend to sell. I'll trawl the forums later see if I can find examples..

From the limited panel vans I found anywhere between 8.5 and 12k seems normal. Mid way seem right? Higher or lower as Bruce would say?

Thanks for the comments i am still stuck here chaps, any other ideas to getting a actual number to start from?

The missus plan is to stick it on the ebays and let the market decide i cant think of any other ideas. so might have the hand forced.

thanks anyhow

Thanks for all the input chaps.

I will spend some time now going over the van, take toe bar and rack off etc and get it ready to sell.

six said:
From the limited panel vans I found anywhere between 8.5 and 12k seems normal. Mid way seem right? Higher or lower as Bruce would say?
It really is a difficult one. I'm going to have an attempt for you here but please realise that this is just one persons [poor] judgement and no exacting science... Pinch of salt to be applied as required ;)

With a more standard engine and gearbox I would pitch it at around £9.5. With the bigger lump, you might squeeze an extra £1-1.5K out of it.
This is based on the assumption that it would be bought by someone "outside of the scene".

To improve your saleability to these folk you'll have to do a little more tidying though: a good wash and wax of the paintwork will attract more potential magpies. Yeah, I know :roll:

I think Oby's van was up for sale at 10.5K (I assume euros?) and that seemed well pitched to me.

*shrug* hope this helps? :?

Cheers gvee. I think that's where I am at right now. And yes I agree needs a big old clean and tidy. 10k seems a sensible pitch. If I find a stock box and motor I'll swap them. I really quite like the 2027 and don't think I could have it built for less than 6k these days.

As others have already said its tricky. I don't agree with Gas1man, this is never going to get £15k: panels are in less demand than buses (for exactly the reasons you are selling this), RHD is more sought after than LHD (LHD is popular because they are generally from a drier climate and therefore have less rot issues, but ask any LHD bus driver what his daily driver family car is and he will say RHD). As Alex pointed out mods cost money but don't add anywhere near the value they cost, so this is for the bus to suit your needs rather than to add value. Selling the lump and box separately is a sensible option, but remember that irrespective of what it cost in parts or to build, whoever buys it will be buying without a warranty or any come-backs, so that has to be reflected in the price. I would pitch this around £7.5-8k and you should get it, more and it may put people off. Just my opinion.
A RHD 69 panel needing minimal work for MOT sold last week on eBay for £3900, the new owner has it for sale on VZI now for £4995.

SiDEV

i have seen the one on VZi and its on here to. its a certainly priced correctly for condition etc. I know i am bias but I am am confident mine is in better shape then that.

If i can find a stock gearbox, ill put that in with a 1600 i have. Had a chat with the engine builder and prices to build that spec engine are not cheap these days.

you are right unless someone is specifically looking for a sorted panel van with a big motor and decent box ready to roll, then my audience is limited and its better off returned to a more stock form to sell.

Thank you all for the advice chaps, together with seeing whats on the market, in the flesh, I have a sensible approach to selling this.

cheers.

The panel on ebay last week didn't sell for £3900. That was the highest bid when the seller pulled the auction. I bought it outside of ebay for £4350 which is exactly what its up for on here. I put it higher on VZi because I know what they are like over there.

ian82 said:
The panel on ebay last week didn't sell for £3900. That was the highest bid when the seller pulled the auction. I bought it outside of ebay for £4350 which is exactly what its up for on here. I put it higher on VZi because I know what they are like over there.

Guys, this the classic 'how long is a piece of string' question. Surely the only 'correct' answer is the price that the van actually sells for to a willing buyer, and as none of us are that willing buyer (I don't see any offers) then our views are of little actual help, IMHO.

As the example above shows, the market decides the price, and knowing your market is what counts. So your best bet is probably to advertise it around various markets, tempt folk in with a low starting price on auction sites (ie, price it to sell, which what you suggest you want to do), and set a realistic reserve that you won't go under, in order to protect yourself. You can always refuse to sell to a bid/offer that is too low. That reserve has to be what YOU won't let it go for less than...only you know that.

And that way you will know what the van is actually worth, rather than what we think it might be worth.

On the plus side, this has got to be the time to get the best prices, with the season about to kick in.

Good luck.

Is it not being able to look out or a lack of light that is causing the problem?

Given all the work that's gone into it I'd see about fitting a window into the sliding door or buy one with one already in.

Maybe try to fit some sort of mirror/ reflective panel opposite the door to make it lighter.

i think that the missus would like kid number2 - i feel that it will be a loosing battle no matter if i got windows it. We can happly sleep 3 right now withthe lil one on the cab bunk. But 4th would have to go on the roof. While i think this is a great plan.. not sure it will float. :eek:

We do have a awning for long stops but frequently stop in aires and green stops in europe so the requirement is that we can all sleep a night in the van. i've resigned myself to sell this, and look at 4 berth pop tops as an option. the big thing is i am not vw-less too long and i hope the replacement is as solid and reliable as this.

Next on the list get it ready to sell and start talking about a 4 berth vans with the missus

Latest posts