Homebuilt interiors. Again.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. Well I'm almost done designing my new interior for my bus and in the coming weeks I'm going to build from scratch so I'm looking at getting the wood etc etc very soon. Those who have built their own, what did it cost you and also I'm looking at cost effective tips with fridge or good cool box, extra storage ideas, your layout and what you use in your buses, leisure battery with electrics, cooker, lighting etc etc. I want my bus to be a proper camper and not just day bus. I got the full width bed in her already. It would be cool to see how you're cabinets etc look too and how they function. I don't want to spend thousands and don't want modern looks with my bus being early 68. Cheers. 🤙.

Hey all. Well I'm almost done designing my new interior for my bus and in the coming weeks I'm going to build from scratch so I'm looking at getting the wood etc etc very soon. Those who have built their own, what did it cost you and also I'm looking at cost effective tips with fridge or good cool box, extra storage ideas, your layout and what you use in your buses, leisure battery with electrics, cooker, lighting etc etc. I want my bus to be a proper camper and not just day bus. I got the full width bed in her already. It would be cool to see how you're cabinets etc look too and how they function. I don't want to spend thousands and don't want modern looks with my bus being early 68. Cheers. 🤙.

Used an antique cabinet disassembled cut and reinstalled complete with wood inlays , just needs a little refinishing. Rob (Australia)

Attachments

• 20150712_124210.jpg
    20150712_124210.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20150711_172532.jpg
    20150711_172532.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-19-45-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-03-19-19-45-1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 2
Mine from the outside.....

Attachments

• IMG_20150312_142142.jpg
    IMG_20150312_142142.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150705_064137.jpg
    20150705_064137.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a home built interior, I wanted it to be fairly light weight. Mine is a 1968 westy, had the full westy interior in it but I didn’t like it and it didn’t work for us. I don’t have any pics at the moment cos it’s all out and a new carpet being fitted. But I’ve got:
90a/h leisure battery (went for this size for ease of removing and I didn’t want a huge heavy battery on the spare battery tray) my wires come up through the spare wheel well which has a convenient hole already in it!
That runs to a 5 gang switch panel which houses usb’s volt meter and 12v socket. I use this socket to power a cooler box for short bursts because it cools fast and is well insulated. I run a 100w solar panel.
I also have a 12v 8inch fan hard wired in, other usb’s around the van and independently wired led lighting (flush fit individual led’s not strip lights)
I have a vintage gas cooker with oven, grill and rings, this is built into a unit that houses the gas bottle, cutlery and other storage. This unit goes where the original westy sink went and is the same dimensions. It’s made of light weight ply and is painted to my taste.
I also have a buddy seat in the westy layout that has been made to house a bar, storage and when travelling with the granddaughter a loo. I have the original westy rock n roll bed and a full length unit running the length of the van from the sliding door back this houses the water, water pump and 12v tap. All the clothes and further storage.
Under the bench seat I have put compartments in for a tool box, jump leads, tyre weld etc. the rest is for general storage.
It’s definitely not a day can, I’ve taken it all over Europe and did 4,500 odd miles in 4 weeks following the six nations rugby around Europe and detoured via the Dolomites to Austria, Germany and the Netherlands because I didn’t want to come home 😁.
I’ll get some pics 👍

I have a home built interior, I wanted it to be fairly light weight. Mine is a 1968 westy, had the full westy interior in it but I didn’t like it and it didn’t work for us. I don’t have any pics at the moment cos it’s all out and a new carpet being fitted. But I’ve got:
90a/h leisure battery (went for this size for ease of removing and I didn’t want a huge heavy battery on the spare battery tray) my wires come up through the spare wheel well which has a convenient hole already in it!
That runs to a 5 gang switch panel which houses usb’s volt meter and 12v socket. I use this socket to power a cooler box for short bursts because it cools fast and is well insulated. I run a 100w solar panel.
I also have a 12v 8inch fan hard wired in, other usb’s around the van and independently wired led lighting (flush fit individual led’s not strip lights)
I have a vintage gas cooker with oven, grill and rings, this is built into a unit that houses the gas bottle, cutlery and other storage. This unit goes where the original westy sink went and is the same dimensions. It’s made of light weight ply and is painted to my taste.
I also have a buddy seat in the westy layout that has been made to house a bar, storage and when travelling with the granddaughter a loo. I have the original westy rock n roll bed and a full length unit running the length of the van from the sliding door back this houses the water, water pump and 12v tap. All the clothes and further storage.
Under the bench seat I have put compartments in for a tool box, jump leads, tyre weld etc. the rest is for general storage.
It’s definitely not a day can, I’ve taken it all over Europe and did 4,500 odd miles in 4 weeks following the six nations rugby around Europe and detoured via the Dolomites to Austria, Germany and the Netherlands because I didn’t want to come home 😁.
I’ll get some pics 👍
All sounds good to me dude 🙂🤙.

Latest posts