• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Iconic VW Volkswagen 1970 Westfalia T2 Camper [SOLD]

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Richards

Reaction score
After lusting after a VW bus for years, literally since I was about 10, I decided I better buy one before it was too late!
I searched the web for a while and found one being sold by a guy who writes for VolksWorld VW and Bus Magazine.
It's a really solid bus with recent mechanical work and most importantly it's an original Westfalia Campmobile70. I really wanted an original Camper not just a converted commercial vehicle. I'll quote the original advert below as it's quite comprehensive.

"Alright you lucky baaastards. Somebody is going to bag themselves a pretty sweet early Westy here that is on the brink of greatness!

I’m Gordie, I’ve been around Volkswagens since ’99 and have been a feature writer for VolksWorld Camper & Bus mag for over 10 years and, more recently VWt. I love classic styling and always wanted an Early Bay Westy. Well, I had my chance and now it’s yours.

I’ve written a little back story for you, but if you just want to get to the point, skip down the page and read the last paragraph and bullets. I was restoring this for our family to use and have owned it for the last five years, but I recently quit my day job to concentrate full time on our family business making signs – www.jacksandstripes.com ← PLUG! This isn’t a ‘woe is me’ segment, it’s to give you an idea that when I was replacing the fuel tank with a brand new one and swapping out the barrels and pistons for new ones and changing the clutch for a shiny new one and installing a brand new canvas in the pop top (you get the point) – then I was doing it with the intention of this being our family bus for years to come. But, sadly before I’ve had time to finish it we need to let it go to fund our start-up.

To ‘finish it’ will require a set of seals and some cosmetic metalwork (depending on your taste for patina/character).

All structural welding has been done. Four new outriggers, inner and outer sills both sides, battery tray, inner lower front section, both steps and a cab floor half. All by iKUSTOMS in Desborough ( = very high standard )

Interior panels have all been replaced, including headliner with all correct panel joining trim and interior seal (I see lots of these conversions missing the little details.)

The interior has been sympathetically restored and for the most part is original save for a new handle here and a hinge there - just blasting off a couple of hundred quids worth of bits in one short sentence – genius salesman! ) It even has the original Westy stool with the little retaining strap. Love that shit. The floor has been completely replaced with fresh 9mm sub floor, overlayed with 3mm ply and finished with cushioned, hard wearing chequered vinyl.

It lived its life in the US and traveled coast to coast, owned by an artist. It had a paint job in the 80s and it still cleans up well.

If you’ve made it this far, well done – let me sum it up for you: This is a lovely driving bus that looks £20,000 from 100 yards. It needs seals asap and some superficial bodywork depending on your taste. The interior is to die for, but it will need some new seat covers in the cab.

I’ve done some research on pricing and can say I don’t envy you if you are in the market for an early bay. There is no rhyme or reason to pricing. I’ve seen a similar bus with a few thousand quids worth of tasty suspension mods (my dream and something I feel this bus is screaming out for) listed at over £20k and I’ve also seen a similar bus fresh off the boat that needs a total recommission including engine and interior for £11k. The average of most of them out there is £15k. I’m motivated to sell and, even though this bus is very close to above average it still needs a weekend or two to be high teens, so I’m asking £13,500 OVNO

GOOD
• 1970 Early Westy
• Drives LOVELY (very smooth and quiet for an old bus!)
• MOT and Tax exempt
• USA Import
• Structural welding done (including all four outriggers, inner/outer sills, steps, half cab floor and inner lower front panel_
• New fuel tank
• New fuel lines
• New clutch
• New barrels and pistons
• New exhaust
• New carb
• New canvas
• New interior panels
• New headliner
• All interior trim replaced
• New flooring

BAD
• Needs new seals (this was/is my next task)
• Rear quarter character
• Has some scabby bits
• Fuel gauge not reading correctly (tank sender working fine)
• Cab seats need new covers
• Passenger cab floor has some holes developing
• Spare wheel well has rust through"

As you can see it was a well written advert! Since buying the van I've continued to tinker with it and improve on some little details.
I've added lots of little bits, too many to remember really but large items such as,
New curtain set from Camper Curtains, top quality with blackout lining.
New curtain rails replacing those that were missing.
New Battery, 3 year guarantee.
"Jail bars" (always liked 'em)
Firetrace engine bay fire extinguisher.
Roof seal
Obviously there's still bits that can be improved on but nothing that would stop you getting out and about this summer! If you're interested get in touch or come for a look.

Happy to help with overseas buyers etc. Any inspection welcome. If you make an offer please follow it up with a message letting me know how you want to proceed.

Looking for £11,500Pictures on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202680745752

Happy to listen to reasonable offers from genuine buyers?
414242648.jpg

414242647.jpg

414242649.jpg

414242650.jpg

More pictures, https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPmpeVqJ_GTpU5MdIwX1c3ZwDxQ6gW8VsxMwFpcTjtxLXNUnsTuvyqXqfqM3YOfwQ?key=YnNKNzJyMzZXTmV5VTh2X0M0ZS15MVJnT0dWX0h3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts