later bay discs and servo?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
If i replace my drums for a late bay disc setup, will i need to fit a servo as well, or can i run without it? If i have to fit the servo, is it a major job?

Thanks in advance
Leon.

do not have to have servo....mine was originally just discs but they are no better than drums at stopping you....

......I have had a servo added......wonderful.....not modern car but braking is a lot less stressful :wink:

I have a standard bus set up...

Different master cylinder
Mounting on beam for servo (may be there already, two different stud spacing servos though)
pipe from carb
Move reservoir (not sure why, now in walkthrough)

everything bar the servo is cheap....................

I can't remember, but somebody in the UK is doing the servo brackets...CE I think. I have several of the 1971 bus only intake manifolds with the big pipe coming off the side if anybody is interested. Have plenty of servos etc. in stock too!

I have drums and they are at least as good at my mates bay that has non servo assist disks.

Changing over wont be that easy wont you need to change the spindles as well as the brakes?, and your front to rear stud patterns will be different.

woodslat said:
I think even the arms are different, spindles, everything.

The arms are identical, but the spindles do differ. I have gone for late 'non servo' disks all round. It was a no brainer, I had completely shot drums all the way around and late parts are so much cheaper. Whereas I agree that well maintained early drums should stop you just as well as late disks, the late disks are easier to live and so offer better brakes. Gone is the hassle of adjustment, the parts are cheaper and late rear shoes have a larger surface area, so do offer better braking. They are less prone to over heating too.

IIRC VW Heritage are doing a complete servo upgrade kit. It comprises of a late Brazilian servo, master cylinder and a bracket that welds to the beam. They sell the bracket separately, it has drillings to accept an early German servo and the later Brazilian.

speedwell68 said:
the late disks are easier to live and so offer better brakes. Gone is the hassle of adjustment, the parts are cheaper and late rear shoes have a larger surface area, so do offer better braking. They are less prone to over heating too.

here here........ :mrgreen:

Where do you take the vacuum for the servo from on an engine setup that was not originally intended to run a servo?

The servo take off is taken from the inlet manifold. On my '71 model the riser (upright part) on the manifold had a brass peice of tubing brazed onto it (pointing up hill so that fuel wasn't sucked up) but when i changed the carb i just drilled and tapped the left hand manifold (it was made with a tap off section) and just threaded a pipe fitting into this. Ran i peice of vacuum pipe under the bus to the servo, and if i remember rightly the other side of the servo goes to a pipe that runs through to the drivers wheel arch (think this is just a vent but stops water getting into the rear of the servo)

noddy said:
Where do you take the vacuum for the servo from on an engine setup that was not originally intended to run a servo?

I have a standard manifold with the pick off if your interested.....upgraded to twin carbs, earlier in the year....

...on twin carbs you use a T piece........

So, it would be beneficial to upgrade, but only with the servo? And as regard to ease, it's relatively straight forward as long as you have all the parts from arms down? My issue with drums is they always seem to pull, and never the same way :? If i'm going to have to change all the drums, i thought i'd may as well put discs on instead!

Cheers everybody. :)

ground hugger said:
buy the 73 onward disk setup if you can..

I do have a late setup, but just out of interest, why?

ground hugger said:
buy the 73 onward disk setup if you can..

for one reason 71/72 are one year only bits so replacement parts for later are cheaper and easier to get and pads are thicker

Araon said:
Woodslat just out of curiosity how much do you knock out a servo for posted to the uk?
Sorry to join back in so late, will have to weigh it for the shipping price, servos in good used condition are $75.00 have around 30 in stock. Will chime back in with postage...

ground hugger said:
Hi
There cheaper :) not for me Ive got a 72 :(
I've got a '71 but converted the calipers and pads to the later type. When the discs need doing then i'll complete the full conversion to the >73

I was just about to put a 73' front beam (spindle to spindle) and rear hubs in my 69' double cab. If I use the steering box from a 73' as well, will it line up to the steering column the same?
Thanks for the info so far, very helpful. :D

Latest posts