M Code Question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just decoded the M code on my bus. It started as an 8 seater microbus when it was shipped to the UK. I always assumed it started life as a Devon conversion as it had a Devon roof on it when I bought it.

Would Devon have bought a microbus and converted it or would the M code indicate it was due for conversion?

With 20 - yes 20 previous owners I guess the roof could in theory have gone on at any time but it appeared to be an original conversion. I would love to trace some of the history but I'm not sure I would love what I would find out with so many owners!

Cheers

Mike

The m plate would never indicate a Devon, since Westfalia were the only VW recognised conversions hence you get all the relavent westy m codes... the rest bought kombies etc for conversion or customers supplied busses for conversion...

Indicators of an original Devon conversion include 'badges' on the NS door and NS body aft of the slider? Any trace of those? Or of bunks perhaps?

Kev

Araon said:
The m plate would never indicate a Devon, since Westfalia were the only VW recognised conversions hence you get all the relavent westy m codes... the rest bought kombies etc for conversion or customers supplied busses for conversion...

Ah that explains it. I think it must have been an original conversion as the bunk brackets were there in what appears to be original headlining. No makers plates are present due to at least three resprays in its history.

Reading a different post I will do form V888 and try to get some of the previous owners. By the law of averages, at least some of the 20 previous owners should respond if I write to them!

I never even thought to look how many previous owners there were when I bought the bus as I bought it as a doss truck, not an original timewarp piece

I wonder if anyone has more owners than mine!?

As above, there's no code to indicate the van went to Devon first, but there might be a clue. My van's a microbus, and one of the codes indicates that it was supplied without seats and floor mat in the cargo area, presumably because this would save Devon money. Everything else is there, bulkhead trim, interior panels, vents, ashtray etc. has yours got this code? (I can't remember what is was off hand)

Latest posts