M-Plate decoder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

Am spending an idle Sunday afternoon decoding the M-plate on my Danbury project...have tracked most of it down online, but stumped by 2 codes...and then I stumbled, in delight, on this M-plate decoder...but it doesn't seem to know what they are either.

So far I've learnt, via some extensive Googling, that:
She was born on 7th April 1970
She's still her original colours of Brilliant Blue body and Cloud White roof.
She used to have belly pans, thankfully they're gone now.
Her tires [sic] were free from duty & import costs :lol:
Her door cards and front seats are still the original light grey/medium grey leatherette.
She was an 8 Seater Microbus, but left the factory with front seats only. So I'm assuming Danbury had pre-ordered her?
Originally a 47 0r 50 bhp engine and manual gearbox.
Delivered to (EN) England, obviously.

But, can anyone shed any light on the following two M-codes: 737 and C96

737 - without portable chair but with guiding rails on floor - only applicable to model type 27 ????

Doesnt look right to me - unless it came from the factory as an ambulance.

C96 - 1970 group code for 020(speedo & Odo in Miles) 061(Type labelling of seat mounting & id plate for England & Ireland) & 187(Headlamps for countries with left-hand traffic)

Stick up your complete M-plate numbers & we can check 737.

How curious?

She's deffo a microbus.

And the code is definitely 737

Wonder if they were bored in the factory that day? :lol:

Here's a pic of my M-plate:

Rosie-M-platepic.jpg

And my own idle investigations have come up with the following notes:
02 177 934 Together with "22" this makes the chassis number: 2202177934 . "22" stands for "Microbus". The "02" indicates that this bus is from model year 1970.
737 m-code ???
676133 6761 = Body L50H (Brilliantblau / Brilliant Blue) &
Roof L581 (WolkenweiB / Cloud White)"
33 = Leatherette material - light grey / medim grey
C96 m-code ???
042 M-Code = Tires approved by research and development department and free from import duty and costs
191 M-Code = With outer and center underfloor plates
543 M-Code = Without seats in passenger compartment (3-seater) (clearly destined for Danbury direct from factory?)
15 Manufactured: week 15 (April 1970? 1970 model year built from Aug-69 to Jul-70)
2 Manufactured: day 2 (Tuesday?)
7655 Unknown
EN Delivered to: England
2240 Microbus 8 Seater - Sliding door left, right hand drive
11 Engine type 1600 (47 or 50 bhp) / Manual gearbox

More notes on manufacture date:
According to Google, Week 15 in 1970 was 6th-12th April
Tuesday was 7th April

If you have any ideas on that '7655' code that should hopefully complete my plate reading :D
Depending on where I look its either a totally unknown code, or some mystifying production code?

Latest posts