Not aircooled but does anyone have any experience with......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
Modern Diesel Engines.
Our daily drive,(i say our because the wife drives it 98% of the time,i drive it when it needs fuel :lol: :lol: ) is an Audi A3 2.0 Tdi.
Last week while i was on my way up to Moseley for a Rugby Tournament the coil light came on and the engine went into limp mode.
I turned ignition off then back on as advised (wife googled the fault while i was laid up in a layby) it rebooted fine then came back on after 1/2 a mile,made it to the tournament and after 6 hrs the engine started fine and drove all the way home bar the last 18 miles where the coil light came back on and the emissions light came on as well.
I pulled over and started the car again,coil light went out but emissions light stayed on.Power was ok no limp mode.I got home and goggled the problem and went for a 30 min drive at 2-3000 revs to clear/clean out the turbo as suggested.
Long story short i put it into a garage and they advised the turbo had been coked up due to town driving only,"Need to drive it like i stole it" at least once a month.
Now all week it was fine but yesterday on a 40 mile trip at 60 mph in 4 gear to keep revs up and not coke the turbo up again the coil light came on again and went into limp mode :evil: :evil: got to where i needed to be and leaving the car for 9 hrs while i got lost in the Brecon Beacons :lol: :lol: i started the car again and drove back the way i came in 4th gear and car was fine :? :?
Anyone know if i need to clean out the turbo by means of a spray/chemical or what do i need to do??

We've had the car 3 years now it is a 2008 model and this is the first time we have encountered this problem,all other modern diesels we have owned never suffered from this.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards.

:sick0019:

Like the man at garage says, give it a good run at 60 mph in 3rd gear not 4 th gear to get engine hot and this sould clean any carbon out. It wont do any harm. I run a Skoda Superb same engine and I had this problem once and yes my wife is main driver and hardly ever goes over 40mph
Robert

I work on modern diesels all day long at my place so got pretty good experience of this engine, I'd say it's likely the VNT mechanism in the turbo has sooted up and the vanes are stuck in the high boost position causing it to overboost instead of regulating correctly, pretty common on these engines in general if doing lots of short journeys, in my experience driving it hard will rarely cure the problem once it has developed and it will need cleaning using a turbo clean kit which can generally improve it to a point it won't go into limp mode again, the only way to fully clean is to strip turbo and manually remove the carbon deposits, not many places fancy doing this though as it's pretty time consuming and requires a degree of knowledge.

Is the turbo very noisy ? if it is it may be time to replace it anyway as this can also be a cause of limp mode as the impeller can stall when it comes into contact with the housing due to worn bearings, you don't say if it's the 140bhp or the 170bhp model, if it's the latter it will have a DPF and this could also be causing you problems, did the garage who looked at it get any stored fault codes when they took a look at it, it's the first place to start really on any modern car as everything else is just guessing. If you get stuck with it and need someone to look at it I am in Birmingham and would be happy to do so

Thanks for the replies fellas.

It's the 140bhp model and yes there was a reading of over boost when the garage plugged it in.
So what can I do myself?
Is there any kind of spray like carb cleaner I can use or is it gonna cost me to remedy it?
You say it might be a new turbo?It is not noisy like the early ones you could hear whistle whether that is any help in describing the fault/noise?
How much are they new or is it new car time? :? :roll:

Regards.

I'd say it's likely the VNT mechanism in the turbo has sooted up and the vanes are stuck in the high boost position causing it to overboost instead of regulating correctly.

The above is what the technician explained the problem to be,is it fixable at low cost or is it fubar'd?

I think autocraftkid was suggesting you tried a do it yourself kit like one of these for instance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Innotec-Diesel-Turbo-Cleaner-Kit-Solves-Your-LIMP-MODE-on-all-VNT-Turbochargers-/220934225460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that's the kit I use, it's pretty good but if you do it just take your time and don't rush, it needs time to be allowed to do it's job properly, it sounds like if the turbo is still quiet it may well cure the problems your having

is the kit self explanatory??
do i just spray it in the intact with the engine idling or at revs?or spray it then go for a thrash?

What fuel do you use? On some cars that have owned filling up with supermarket fuel is not a good idea ?

I only use flag carriers , I e BP, Shell etc

The reason for this is cheap diesel has less of the important waxes and advertives that some modern diesels require to run correctly

Might be worth running the tank down and refilling with a1/4 of a tank and seeing if that would help.

toffo24 said:
What fuel do you use? On some cars that have owned filling up with supermarket fuel is not a good idea ?

I only use flag carriers , I e BP, Shell etc

The reason for this is cheap diesel has less of the important waxes and advertives that some modern diesels require to run correctly

Might be worth running the tank down and refilling with a1/4 of a tank and seeing if that would help.
I do sometimes question peoples sources of this sort of information, do you really think Asda, Morrison's etc use different fuel to BP, Shell etc? They all pull from the most local refinery and they don't get a 'special blend'. In the most obvious case is Tesco's who use ESSO now, part of one of the largest oil companies in the world. Do you think tescos use a cheaper version of Esso's normal fuel? No they don't.

My sources are the recommendations from Peugeot and Audi dealerships where I have been given this recommendation for the reasons stated when we have had running issues with cars that we have owned.

I am sure that I you read some for the posts online you will find that there are a lot of referrals regarding the levels of a additives in some cheaper fuels. Evidently it depends on the levels of base fuel used. All have to comply with British standards but all are different with some brands have more additives.

Hey iv had to strip my vnt on my skoda n instead of buying these expencive turbo cleaners, get urself a can of mr muscle oven cleaner the foam one, its a carbon cleaner and hey presto it works :D try it on ur exhaust tips if u dont believe me :) good luck

lil_azza said:
Hey iv had to strip my vnt on my skoda n instead of buying these expencive turbo cleaners, get urself a can of mr muscle oven cleaner the foam one, its a carbon cleaner and hey presto it works :D try it on ur exhaust tips if u dont believe me :) good luck

Don't want to sound stupid but can you dumb it down for me :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: ,which part did you strip down and clean,did you rinse it off or wipe it away???

Regards.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/mobiquo/smartbanner/welcome.php?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts%2F&code=7e3489eace8a603c1e863e6d826d28cd&board_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums&lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; saves me writing it out buddy, if u google vnt turbo cleam with mr muscle theres loads about it

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/mobiquo/smartbanner/welcome.php?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts%2F&code=7e3489eace8a603c1e863e6d826d28cd&board_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums&lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; saves me writing it out buddy, if u google vnt turbo cleam with mr muscle theres loads about it

If your on a budget Mr Muscle does work but in my experience the proper kit does a better job and lasts a lot longer, believe me I have tried many different ways of doing it on my customers vehicles, also the way some youtube videos show putting it down the EGR pipe isn't as good as removing the exhaust, plus you have to be very careful you inject where it needs to go and don't end up filling a cylinder with cleaner, this could ruin the engine on startup if you are unlucky, I always now get underneath and remove the exhaust to do the job properly.

And don't believe anything about supermarket fuels, having worked in many dealerships they always blame anything they can on poor quality fuels, one of my customers who delivers fuel to Tescos collects it from a well known supplier and he says other supermarket tankers are there filling up as well, basically dealerships don't want to admit there is a design flaw in most of the vehicles they sell now so blame any running issue on fuel quality, what a load of rubbish, my 1.9tdi Octavia and Caddy both have near 200k on them now with no hint of sticking VNT vanes, they always get filled with the cheapest fuel and have done for the past 100k or so since owning them, they get driven hard once warmed up which clears any soot buildup before it has a chance to do any harm :shock:

autocraftkid said:
If your on a budget Mr Muscle does work but in my experience the proper kit does a better job and lasts a lot longer, believe me I have tried many different ways of doing it on my customers vehicles, also the way some youtube videos show putting it down the EGR pipe isn't as good as removing the exhaust, plus you have to be very careful you inject where it needs to go and don't end up filling a cylinder with cleaner, this could ruin the engine on startup if you are unlucky, I always now get underneath and remove the exhaust to do the job properly.

And don't believe anything about supermarket fuels, having worked in many dealerships they always blame anything they can on poor quality fuels, one of my customers who delivers fuel to Tescos collects it from a well known supplier and he says other supermarket tankers are there filling up as well, basically dealerships don't want to admit there is a design flaw in most of the vehicles they sell now so blame any running issue on fuel quality, what a load of rubbish, my 1.9tdi Octavia and Caddy both have near 200k on them now with no hint of sticking VNT vanes, they always get filled with the cheapest fuel and have done for the past 100k or so since owning them, they get driven hard once warmed up which clears any soot buildup before it has a chance to do any harm :shock:

so will i have to remove the exhaust with all n sundrie to do this using the kit you advise from fleabay or do i just start the car let it warm up then place some weight on the accelerator and spray into the air box then let it run??

Regards.

Latest posts