Please explain cab doors + water 'entry' / 'exit'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issy

Reaction score
Even though I've had my bus for 14 years could somebody please explain what should happen to water when it rains??

eg

1. should it get into / through doors at all???
2. how does it get in if it does no 1?
3. Ditto exit?
4. should doors have holes to let water out?
5. park at an angle (side now not front or back) and is water entry different??
5. anything else?!!

The outer scraper seals on a cab door are water resistant but not water tight, so they will allow water ingress. The water will run through the door and drain out of the holes that are at the lowest point of the door.
These holes should be free to prevent water sitting.
Of course this design casese doors to get damp, and can cause rot, it also encourages water to sit on the steps causing rot .....

Ensure cab door insides are kept as clean and empty as possible to allow the 'flow', wax them internally to repell the moisture, keep the drain holes clear and ensure the plastic membrane, or a similar reaplcement is in plce to prevent the door cards getting damp and warping.

Dont allow the van to sit after spells of rain with opening doors to ensure they arent trapping water ...... and I guess parking 'nose down' where possible will help, too.

when I was restoring my last bay I spent a couple of months driving around without any door cards, which proved a great way to see where the water was coming in.......! I was really suprised at the amount actually coming in, it was all over me and the cab seats, and this was with new door and window seals everywhere....

What Clem has said is spot on, it's not so much the water getting in, it's making sure it doesn't hang around too long or worse still, not go out at all.

In the end I used 2 pieces of polythene on the inside of the door, one piece running from the top edge of the interior side of the door, and into the cavity of the door itself, tucking it in between the horizontal strengthener bar and the door skin, and another complete sheet covering the whole of the inside of the door.

the first bit directs all the water back into the door and towards the drain holes at the bottom, and the second sheet protects the cab area and door card from getting wet. But....as Clem has said, use lots of waxoyl first....!!

I also painted the inside of the door cards with kitchen and bathroom paint to stop them ever getting soggy. All seemed to work very well......

Latest posts