Polishing advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
Need some advice re: polishing my new Cookie Cutters, I've used Nitro-Mors with wire wool to strip the paint off today (very tedious) and it's almost completely paint free (will finish tomorrow).
Am I right in thinking that I need to start rubbing it down with some superfine emery wet & dry? Then start with the auto-sol?
Is it worth getting hold of a polishing kit or should I just do it by hand?
I've only go a pair so far so I'm prepared to take my time...

;)

P.S. - Still looking for two Cookie Cutters (6J)!

;)

Get a quote from an engineering company or polishers. I made my fingers bleed polishing my Fuchs!

I started with some coarse paper to get the deep scratches out, then just go finer, say 240, then 400 or 600, then 1200, maybe 1500 or even 2000. Wire wool & peek or autosol to finish.
If you use the proper soaps & buffing wheel they will stay shiny for longer.

its well worth paying to have them done otherwise you will lose the tops of your fingers for ages. it doesnt hurt at first but the next couple of days are agony!

ianscooby said:
Justin

there's a guy round here that does the low riders rims for 100 for all four, maybe worth considering

That sounds good to me - I've been quoted £70 per rim by my local chap!

Got any contact details?

;)

J&M

The company is Caerphilly polishers, they about 10 miles from me,

No 02920 867837
contact is Paul, worth saying Andy from C G Rees based details on
if you want I can poss collect to save you postage I get around country a bit (southampton area within next 10 days), or bring them to vanfest ???????
or if rainbow are closer use them

Loxy

Not to far from you

Thanks for that, it's very kind of you to offer to collect them for me :D - I'm going to take a rain check if I can for the mo' as I've been spending a bit too much on the van of late and funds are depleting rapidly:

4x 6J Cookie Cutters £200 (no tyres yet!)
Red9 Lowering kit £175
Empi shifter £55
Panels £60
Tools £100
Chrome badge £33
Sundries £85

Don't tell my missus!!! 8)

Once I've got some more cash together I'll get hold of you if that's OK - I can always courier them to you if you're not down this way for a while!

Cheers

J&M

;)

J&M

Looks a nice bit of kit, may buy one, what about the rear.
I currently have a fosky and turned the splines on rear, went low but hell it bottoms out.

The rear of the bus is down 2 splines already - might go another one though!
Red9 also make adjustable springplates - I've heard good things about them but I haven't seen them in the flesh... I guess it means that you could raise or lower front and back in about 25-30 minutes, quite handy!

;)

Latest posts