rear suspension woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey666

Reaction score
Hi
I have had my 1969 bay westy slightly lowered all round. When driving around unloaded the rear suspension is okay, i have kyb gas shocks all round. The van is lowered approximately 3" from stock height.
When loaded with camping gear for a weekend away the rear spring plates rest on the top of the housing into which the spring plate sit.
What would be the best set up for rear suspension so that I am able to keep the ride height as it is when unloaded but then raise the rear slightly for when we go away for the weekend camping, would it be adjustable spring plates or coil over shocks and springs??
Please can someone help, Thank you
Regards
Cakey

I'd say adjustable spring plates, very simple to move up and down and you can keep the normal suspension travel. I presume the back is just down a spline at the minute?

A 3" drop is more than one spline.

If the spring plates are hitting the housing it means the bump stops have been modified or removed. They are set to prevent this from happening. Imagine the damage if a laden bus hit a big bump at speed and all the impact went into the springplate hitting the housing!

adjustable spring plate are the way to go.... fitted mine today 1000% better.

P1040556.jpg

P1040557-1.jpg

Thank you all for your advice as per usual, I have ordered adjustable spring plates from Creative Engineering,
Thank you again
Cakey :D :D

hi.
i am one down at the rear with adjusters on the front, and am still running on original dampers at the rear! i was going to upgrade to KYBs but have now read your post.
which KYBs did you have on yours? mine is not bothering me too much, even loaded for camping, but having put KYBs on the front and found a brilliant difference i wonder if i can get away with the gas shocks on the rear too?

were yours new shocks? which model were they? do you still have them?

Latest posts