Shopping for a new Carburetor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEXTER

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I'm in the market for a new carb and I'm wondering where I should get it from and what exactly I should get. It's a 71 westy with the 1600. I normally order from cip1 dot com, but I don't see that top of the line German carb on the list. There is one made in Mexico that is liscensed by VW, but I'm a little sketchy about that. I Would prefer if the website you recommend was North American so it does not take long to ship. Spring seems to have sprung a little early here in Nova Scotia. Going to uncover Dexter soon. : ) Look forward to hearing from you folks. Thanks in advance.

Hiya Dex,

This is one person who would advise you not to buy a new carburetor. The new carbs are all from either Mexico, Brazil, or Taiwan. The quality of the castings is definitely a few notches below the OEM equipment VW used when they put these busses together.

Instead, I'd advise you to buy a quality rebuilt Solex 34PICT3. You are at home on the same continent as one of the best in carburetor rebuilding, kiefernet over at the Samba. Contact him about rebuilding a Solex 34PICT3 for your bus. It will be cheaper and better than a new unit.

Latest posts