Solar Charger recommendations anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Now that summer is upon us and we'll all be living off-grid at various festivals and wild camping in the back of beyond has anyone in EB world got any first hand experience of portable solar chargers? Mainly for topping up smart phones and tablets - not necessarily for adding juice to the leisure battery. I realise that the words "sunshine" and "UK summer holiday" are often mutually incompatible but I'm off in the bus to Tiree for a week in July for the Tiree Music Festival and Tiree regularly posts the best sunshine record for any place in the UK so a solar charger in the UK might not be an oxymoron after all and who said Scottish weather is crap anyway.

I have purchased a small 10w 12v solar panel on ebay Item: 251496132060 to trickle charge up my leisure battery should give up to 0.5amps or 500mah in peak sunshine you can also use this via a 12v regulator & a 12v power o/p socket with usb o/p won't cost that much cheapest panel I have seen so far & posted from within the uk watch out though sent in a jiffy bag but undamaged I have left it on the back seat so far & will position on my roof when out camping I would fix it to the roof but not to sure were I want it.

This is the one I have purchased however I cant recommend it as I havent used it yet!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-120W-Poly-folding-solar-panel-kit-battery-charger-car-avan-boat-NO-DUTY-/390747493554?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item5afa5d94b2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will be going to Aircooled 14 and SPA with me so will be able to comment on how effective it is after some use

I use a 13W solar briefcase from Maplins, on offer at the mo for £63:99. code number N00CX. can't knock it and as the sun moves I move it around, something you struggle with if it's stuck on your bus.....

Hi,

I have a 80W panel mounted on my roof luggage rack on my pop top westy. Today in the sun about 5pm, it was 3A, about 50+W, sun nit directly ahead.

Have a look at my build thread for all my solar kit and specs and things i have bought etc.

Cheers,

Alistair

got two of these http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/SS05WA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one for the van and one for the shed

Latest posts