steering hell !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubscum

Reaction score
my steering sticks in the middle when turning from left to right and has been been getting worse and not is unsafe to drive. It is a real battle sometimes just getting it to turn, then another struggle to straighten it up. I jack it right up and turned the wheels (left to right) by hand and the stop/sticks. Then i got the wife to turn the wheel while i lay underneath and could not see any thing catching, but it was still doing it, i took it for a run afterwards and i had to wrench the steering wheel other was i would have crashed it made a knocked noise as it passed the middle. then after corners it did not wait to straighten up. i'm thinking its the steering box, its covered in oil, can i refill it and what with, is there a way i can check it ? or do i need a new one or can i get it reconed etc.

thanks for any advise in advance
Ash :D

I know that feeling well! Scares the crap out of you!

You can top up with oil, pull the bung on top of the box, not that this will make much difference but worth doing.

It does sound like the adjuster nut is too tight, as this always gives a tight spot at centre due to it being the place where it gets most wear.

However, they do tend to wear more heavily when a good slamming has occured :roll: , so may be worth reconditioning or finding a good secondhand one...FBI sell them quite reasonably when they have them in.

Latest posts