The Way Forward - Pre Bay Purchase

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i brought a ugly battered westy california import for 6K, but he was solid rust wise and mechanically sound, excusing a slight hiccup with the petrol tank and carb. i was a complete amature But spent six month making it clean and usable, tarting up the bits i wanted nice. I use it 20 -30 times a year camping where it drives down lanes with hawthorn bushes hanging over it gets splashed with dirt, stone chips, bug splats, bird poo and tree sap.
if i paid 30k for a bus i wouldnt do any of that. if you want a pretty bus that you drive to shows and win awards a full restore is the way, if you want it to go camping buy the best you can afford dont worry about the paint make sure its sound mechanically and enjoy. pop top if you want to stand up in the bus Westy (most of your pictures are of westy's) if you want cupboard space.

p.s. its just my opinion and i have massive respect for those who do a full resto but i want mine to camp in

Having decided on what I want from a Bay, there is a couple [pop-top Westfalias] on my radar, although both have been on the market for a good couple of months now, which makes wonder why? Both are some distance away - so short of asking why they think they are still on the market - can't help wonder if I am the only mug that thinks they are acceptable for the asking price?

Anyway - could do with some advise - as they aren't quite the way I am going to want in the long run .. but sure can be made so

Bunk Bed - A change in circumstances (expectant wife with #2!) means that I would ideally like the buk to support two young children. How difficult is the change from the original hammock style bed to a flat bed?

Sink unit - seems to be a popular item to remove, but not many around for sale?! Is there someone which reproduces the sink unit where a fridge can be installed below?

Thanks

V5SportNB said:
Having decided on what I want from a Bay, there is a couple [pop-top Westfalias] on my radar, although both have been on the market for a good couple of months now, which makes wonder why? Both are some distance away - so short of asking why they think they are still on the market - can't help wonder if I am the only mug that thinks they are acceptable for the asking price?

Anyway - could do with some advise - as they aren't quite the way I am going to want in the long run .. but sure can be made so

Bunk Bed - A change in circumstances (expectant wife with #2!) means that I would ideally like the buk to support two young children. How difficult is the change from the original hammock style bed to a flat bed?

Sink unit - seems to be a popular item to remove, but not many around for sale?! Is there someone which reproduces the sink unit where a fridge can be installed below?

Thanks

There is a kit you can buy that creates the later style bed in the roof that will sleep two, but remember you can sleep a child in the front hammock for a good few years.

NLA VW do enough 'stuff' these days to enable you to make a westy style cabinet/sink unit of your own design. Most got removed originally as a space making option - my guess is that they often got left in garages etc when the van got sold, hence the eventual long term 'shortage'.

Any links to the Westys youre interested in? I'll give you a pointer or tow if you'd like.

V5SportNB said:
Does anyone have experience of camper restoration businesses? And who would they recommend? Whatever happens to Morcambe and Wize besides their astronomical prices?

Morcambe and Wize went 'bust' last year, taking a lot of many people's money with them, including mine. Very sorry story, I'd keep well away from any dealings with the former proprietor.

Clem said:
Any links to the Westys youre interested in? I'll give you a pointer or tow if you'd like.

Thanks, I have sent them by PM in just in case it's not all 100% favourable, but feel free to post on this thread if you wish,

Thanks ...

I
V5SportNB said:
Clem said:

Thanks, I have sent them by PM in just in case it's not all 100% favourable, but feel free to post on this thread if you wish,

Thanks ...

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Nice, nice, pun Mr Clem :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

MrApollo said:
V5SportNB said:
Does anyone have experience of camper restoration businesses? And who would they recommend? Whatever happens to Morcambe and Wize besides their astronomical prices?

Morcambe and Wize went 'bust' last year, taking a lot of many people's money with them, including mine. Very sorry story, I'd keep well away from any dealings with the former proprietor.

Sorry to hear that you lost money. I subsequently learned of them going in to liquidation. Their website, publications and photography did all the right things, and I suppose they did finish a number of buses, but all the pizazz of good photography doesn’t make a business plan. While I’m sure the owner didn’t intentionally set out to rip people off, I can’t imagine the anger and upset he’s caused probably a number of people go spend their savings or a loan on their passion, only to be confronted by this. Hope you have found a way past this hiccup...

Very interesting read this thread. It’s a truly personal endeavour buying a bay. I think the most valuable insight was ‘photographs’ and from someone who has either gone personally through the process of self restoration (like gninnam/Andy on this site) as you see what has been truly tackled. Or has sent one to someone they can truly trust to renovate (as in my case) and still has photographic evidence. A good bashing on panels by someone who can spot rust hidden under paint a mile off is difficult. You can’t traipse along to every Tom, Dick or Harry (names of the buses, not the owners) unless Dick is the owner and lives up to his Head surname and sells you a shocker! And still come away empty handed. Brexit? I’m worried but am an optimist. When my renovation experience was underway, I was the ‘hunter’. Looked everywhere for stuff for needed additions. But now? I have my solid bus (2 years but well worth it) as a base to add and improve on and use it everyday for my daily transport. It looks great, gets crapped on by tree leaves and beech nut husks, the Welsh weather, birds/spiders/flies and midges and local dirt and sand dust. But that’s what they’re here for. The daily experience of struggling to find 2nd gear at times, running a ripe engine that piffs out on slowing down, etc. Simply old age niggles. A rust bucket that drops to the floor when your driving it? Negligence and damn dangerous! But sitting behind the wheel of a bay (especially a quirky Crossover 😉) is a joy. So? Get a solid base, definitely MOT status, a decent picture history/invoice purchase evidence of workings and someone with a realistic price. Mine? I’ve valued it at £15,000 guaranteed price pay back with the insurance company. I’ve ploughed more money into her over the years. If someone has this evidence of guaranteed valuation, then that’s a good pointer that they’ve been serious in what the dub was worth if mishap happened. Once you’ve got your bus that is a keeper, you name her or him and look after them. They change your life. Good fortune in your hunting.

V5SportNB said:
While I’m sure the owner didn’t intentionally set out to rip people off...

Unfortunately, even if he didn't set out with that in mind, judging by the horror stories, he gave it a damn good go once he got going! :evil:

V5SportNB said:
Clem said:

Thanks ...

I'll post up the dealer van for sale as I think they are fair game for discussion, but not private sales.

The red £24.5k bus here - http://absolutevw.co.uk/for-sale/

The canvas fitment and deformation of the front panel make me think its not a bus of that value. For me, there are also other elements, such as the rear flooring and trimming, but thats a personal thing.

Latest posts