Two great campsites in Wales...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
Just back from a week or so in Wales. I often go to a campsite on the road out of Machynlleth towards Aberdovey called Gwerniago Farm, in Pennal...

P1050247.jpg

The view out over the Dovey estuary towards Borth is amazing, especially at night.

P1050479.jpg

P1050482.jpg

As I was off the site each day I missed out on my favourite pitch once or twice, but this move gave new photo opportunities.

P1050635.jpg

I then moved on to the Cae Du site north of Tywyn, featured in the 'By the beach' thread - an amazing site.

P1050581.jpg

P1050575.jpg

They are perfectly happy for campers to have fires, but the wood bundles they sell tned to be greenwood so don't burn that well. Their lamburgers are great though.

P1050542.jpg

P1050567.jpg

P1050598.jpg

The sunset was amazing - a site I'll be going back to. The showers etc in the middle of the two fields are great, with a covered seated area which I am sure gets to be a bit of fun in the summer if anyone takes a guitar. The field to the right has the flatter pitches but the left one is probably the better as you can get right by the cliff.

Website for Gwerniago farm... http://www.gwerniago.co.uk/

Details for Cae Du... http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4875

Just got back from the second campsite. Top call ;)
The wind ended our holiday early mind, due to the awning crumbling :( Ah well, we'll be going again soon.
Here's some more pics.

DSCF2810.jpg

DSCF2766-1.jpg

DSCF2779-1.jpg

DSCF2780-1.jpg

DSCF2782-1.jpg

Wouldn't like to mention names as they've given me a full refund and a gift in the form of chairs and table. They are stopping production of the awning i had. No idea why! :lol:

This suggested site between Mach and Aberdovey is around the bay from my house. I pick up my Early Bay in a few weeks and the first place I'm taking it is down to Ynyslas (10 minutes from my doorstep). I take black and white photographs of the dunes (always film....NO digital...what do you expect from someone who's about to own a VW 72) and recommend taking in Ynyslas on a visit for the sheer mesmerising personality of the place. I'm glad I've found this website because all your recommendations are priceless. I'll be looking out for EarlyBay visitors and recommending more areas myself. I've lived here for about 14 years and know the surroundings well. Good fortune all. Gray Summers. :idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graysummers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I presume Ynyslas is a place you can camp? Is it an official site or wild camping?

I am often up around Mach as I am a volunteer on the Corris Railway and use the van overnight. Maybe we can meet and share a beer when I'm uplater in the summer.

Hi Partner in Chrome. Ynyslas itself isn't a camp site but at certain times of the year (Summer Solstice, etc.) informal gatherings of good social/music/conversational/beachfire/bar-b-q events ensue at Ynyslas. It's a kind of word-of-mouth local social thing that goes on. It's just that the sands and dune walks/wide open spaces are a bit special and definately worth a look. You can spend a long-long day here and totally chill. All around this area there are many sites to stay at though. As a new-to-be owner of a '72 Devon I haven't stayed at any sites so can't recommend. But I will say the area is worth a visit. I live here so am a bit biased. Of course, I'd love to meet up and have a chin-wag and a beer. Keep in touch. Good fortune. Gray Summers.

BTW I've stayed at Deal (near Dover) on 3 occassions and love the area. So if you've any recommends of which campsites are good to stay at I'd be interested to hear.

Mike F said:
They are perfectly happy for campers to have fires, but the wood bundles they sell tned to be greenwood so don't burn that well. Their lamburgers are great though.

they are good but it seemes so wrong when we camped ther last year and little lambs were running about while we were eating the burgars :shock:

Hope you enjoyed your stay at Pennal. I live across the bay and am often down at Ynyslas in the bus either hopefully drinking coffee, photographing the surroundings or reading the day away (catch up text book stuff made easier by the EB surroundings) on days off from work. BUT!!!!! I'm actually usually found, not relaxing as intended, but meeting people that just want to talk about the "old beauty"..... either having a dub themselves (we chat over the merits of Type 1's, 2's or 25's which is great when the various dubs are there in the flesh so-to-speak), have owned one in the past and regret big-time selling it (usually not for the experience of actually owning one of these beauties...but for how much they're worth now.....very sad/bad/mad people for getting rid in the first place) or it's their ultimate dream to own one. If you spot (spotted) an XO in green 'n' cream in a lay-by in Taliesin......that's my XO I'm talking about. XO ? Loud 'n' Proud.

I certainly did have a good time! I didn't get further than Pennal this time - as you see it's not the sort of place you want to leave...

P1090266Small.jpg

I was actually up as a voluteer on the Corris Railway learning how to drive their diesel. I drove this train up to Corris myself...

P1090248Small.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for you another time!

Nice pics Mike and glad you had a good time.

We always go to Abersoch (just up the coast) as we love the wilderness and views up there :D

Glad you enjoyed the visit again. Corris is just up the road from Machynlleth where my wife works (Centre for Alternative Technology) and we visit the area a lot. Living in this area for 15 years now, I can understand why you love this place. Good fortune and I'll keep an eye open too.

Latest posts