Well that didn't go down very well(headliner fitting ply)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
Well if you gunna by the kit of eBay ,check the measurement first , got the cab peice in first ,the hole for light was miles out so thought I would try and adjust ,there's no way it was all gunna line up ,on refitting the sheet split up front :( so after paying £110 for kit I've now gotta source another sheet of ply, just been searching through threads and seems there's a supplier on top of detling hill so will ring them Monday. Not a happy chap as its costing alot. Should of just glued carpet over hardboard

Yeah the front HAS to go in first , then although the next two look the same the last one tapers as rear is narrower !

Hope you get it sorted ok man , its a real bitch of a job !!

The two rear sheaths are square :shock: so that's worrying ,I just want it done so thought I would just pay for kit and sorted but will have to buy some more and cut myself.

yea there seems to be plenty of DIY cow boys selling rough fit shite on ebay. I brought full set of door cards off there and took forever modding them to fit right

Dub boy, I see you have a microbus, microbuses came with a fabric headliner so that means you won't have any side channels for the ply to sit into. If this is the case, a kit will never fit whether it's a good kit or a piece of poo. The only way is to put your side track up and measure each piece of ply and fit one by one as you go.
This is how I did mine on my microbus.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fitting-my-birch-ply-headlining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only difficult bit was the cab area, the middle and rear sections are pretty much square.
I got my 3mm Russian Birch ply from Lathams timber, a 5' x 5' sheet for less than a tenner.
Remember, treble check (at least) every measurement before cutting.
Hope you get it sorted.
Dave

sacramentobay said:
Dub boy, I see you have a microbus, microbuses came with a fabric headliner so that means you won't have any side channels for the ply to sit into. If this is the case, a kit will never fit whether it's a good kit or a piece of poo. The only way is to put your side track up and measure each piece of ply and fit one by one as you go.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fitting-my-birch-ply-headlining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only difficult bit was the cab area, the middle and rear sections are pretty much square.
I got my 3mm Russian Birch ply from Lathams timber, a 5' x 5' sheet for less than a tenner.
Hope you get it sorted.
Dave
I hade a bus parked next to mine , I couldn't take mates headlining out but copied the j tube to the mm ,the boards are rubbish ,the hole for interior light is not even cut central .i should of just made them from scratch in the first place but we learn :)

bluenose said:
yea there seems to be plenty of DIY cow boys selling rough fit shite on ebay. I brought full set of door cards off there and took forever modding them to fit right
I bought a set of door cards from same supplier and they don't look much better. I asked for cards not to be drilled as I was going to varnish them ,what turns up panels made out of shit ply with holes drilled .he said I would have to post back and pay a further £30 on top of the £90 I've already paid ,there all robin bastards ,as soon as vans done its up for sale and ime going to buy myself a nice t4 or t5 this resto has put me rite of due to shit fitting aftermarket overpriced crap and to be fair buying second hand parts is getting out my price range now ,hobbyist not what it was but that's just my opinion .rant over :D

dub boy said:
sacramentobay said:

Hope you get it sorted.
Dave
I hade a bus parked next to mine , I couldn't take mates headlining out but copied the j tube to the mm ,the boards are rubbish ,the hole for interior light is not even cut central .i should of just made them from scratch in the first place but we learn :)

Live and learn mate, better off doing it yourself sometimes... good luck.

dub boy said:
bluenose said:
I bought a set of door cards from same supplier and they don't look much better. I asked for cards not to be drilled as I was going to varnish them ,what turns up panels made out of shit ply with holes drilled .he said I would have to post back and pay a further £30 on top of the £90 I've already paid ,there all robin bastards ,as soon as vans done its up for sale and ime going to buy myself a nice t4 or t5 this resto has put me rite of due to shit fitting aftermarket overpriced crap and to be fair buying second hand parts is getting out my price range now ,hobbyist not what it was but that's just my opinion .rant over :D

Most things I've brought this time around have fit real well because I've crashed out over the odds for OG or more expensive aftermarket parts. Expensive hobby these days!

shame it's put you off. We need to start a good vs shite parts thread as a reference !

bluenose said:
dub boy said:
bluenose said:

Most things I've brought this time around have fit real well because I've crashed out over the odds for OG or more expensive aftermarket parts. Expensive hobby these days!

shame it's put you off. We need to start a good vs shite parts thread as a reference !
Would be a good idea
http://forum.earlybay.com/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts