Nasty Knocking Noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Spent last weekend at Glampfest near Ripon. Drove up the A1 from Grantham and had some weird noises from the loud cupboard as we got to the site which then turned into a loud nocking noise. At this point oil pressure was ok and could change gears.
Anyway, had a good weekend but decided to get the bus recovered home.
That's when the fun started.
Called the RAC and to be fair man in Transit van turned up an hour later. He listened to the noise and agreed the van needed recovery. Then RAC man's electronic equipment could not find our post code even though our house has existed since 2001. He then towed the van to the main gate of the site and waved goodbye. Had several conversations with the recovery company, it turned out they could not recover the van direct to my house even though it was only 93 miles away. Six hours later they turned up and took my van which was full of our camping equipment and said it will be 3 to 5 days before we got the van home.
Van turned up yesterday and luckily nothing missing.
Now the investigation begins as to the source of the knocking noise, I suspect it's going to be expensive...

Very first thing I’d do is to try it without the fan belt. It s easily done to get something down in the fan and housing, that’ll also eliminate the alternator. I’m guessing you’ve already tried that. Second thing I’d try is stethoscope style piece of hosepipe to the ear. If it’s all doom and gloom then whip him out and open him up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,fingers crossed for you :)

Good luck with the investigation- must be every earlybay owners fear!!
Hopefully it’s sorted soon 🌈🤞👍

Ozziedog, I did whip the fan belt off to make sure it wasn't the alt or fan (forgot to mention it in my post).
RAC (or their contracted company) did get my bus home albeit 4 days later.
took the engine out yesterday, the flywheel was loose, I could undo the gland nut with my fingers. Seems like this issue has been reported a couple of times lately. Flywheel dowel pin holes didn't look ovaled, but were fairly loose so I have ordered a new flywheel.
Going to break the case and see if anything untoward has happened internally.

Ozziedog, I did whip the fan belt off to make sure it wasn't the alt or fan (forgot to mention it in my post).
RAC (or their contracted company) did get my bus home albeit 4 days later.
took the engine out yesterday, the flywheel was loose, I could undo the gland nut with my fingers. Seems like this issue has been reported a couple of times lately. Flywheel dowel pin holes didn't look ovaled, but were fairly loose so I have ordered a new flywheel.
Going to break the case and see if anything untoward has happened internally.
Just my ten pence worth. It’s summertime so id try very very hard not to have the van off the road for tooooo long. So here’s my plan. While you’re waiting for this fly wheel, id pop the plugs out and turn the motor over and over, either by hand with a spanner or try with an impact gun because your flywheel is off. See if any of the noises are re created. If they are, then further investigation is required but if it’s turning over nicely and you’re reasonably contented with witness marks etc that it’s fly wheel to blame then id leave the opening up ceremony until the winter (or whenever) . Get your new fly wheel on there and make sure everything fits nicely and try it again then refit with loctite on the bolts .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,then enjoy the summer :)

🫣 If the flywheel has come loose then it’s likely mullered the bearings and possibly the case

I agree with K@rlos, whilst the engine is out I am going to replace the all the bearings. I probably will replace the crank for a Scat one as per his recommendations. I just hope the (relatively) new aluminium case isn't shafted...

I agree with K@rlos, whilst the engine is out I am going to replace the all the bearings. I probably will replace the crank for a Scat one as per his recommendations. I just hope the (relatively) new aluminium case isn't shafted...
I’d recommend getting the entire rotating assembly balanced if you do end up doing a rebuild. Pulley, timing gears, all the spacers, crank, flywheel and pressure plate. Will help with smoother running and longevity.

Latest posts