1600 TP, Carb choices.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyh

Reaction score
A quick question for those wise in the ways of the flat-4 force. Is it worth sticking a pair of DRLA 40s on a 1600 twin port, stock apart from a sports exhaust, or would the standard carb be a better choice? Aim is a bit more zip without utterly ruinous mpg; we've got a 2000 mile trip to France coming up in a couple of months. Eurocarb are just down the road so the Dellortos will be properly set up btw, and the bus is on standard gearing as well.
I'm getting the DRLAs anyway for next winter's 1776 build, but the bus needs a new motor within a couple of weeks which kind of restricts me to an off-the-shelf recon replacement for now.
Cheers all, Andy.

Twin carbs coupled with an exhaust that gives a better flow than stock will give you some more zip yes - since the stock system is restrictive by comparison.

Make sure your exhaust really is less restrictive though. I have heard reports that some of the four into one headers using a small flange are actually more restrictive than stock to the extent of forcing exhaust gases up the valve stems!

Make sure the "off the shelf recon" is of good quality and get it run in before making your trip, to make sure its reliable.

i've got a pair of eurocarb refurbed 40drla's on my 1600 and they are a great improvement, really opened up the engine and gets ok mpg as long as i can control the right foot..

if your getting eurocarb refurbed ones you can be sure of a quality job and will be perfect for your upgrade to 1776..

Latest posts