1968 Roadrunner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan67

Reaction score
OK, I`m finally going to start a thread. Been here awhile but never really posted much until now. After nearly 27 years and MANY VW`s I have my first Baywindow. Recently I sold my 66 Bug I found myself with no transportation. My 65 Panel is too far off so I bought this 1968 Roadrunner Camper from some friends of mine. It had been sitting since 1981 when they found it. It was fitted with a 356 motor but they had sold that and the remains needed some TLC. Still in original paint (L87) but really dirty inside and out. I have been working on it and will be posting more soon but here is my starting point.
799877.jpg

799876.jpg

799870.jpg

799871.jpg

799872.jpg

799873.jpg

799874.jpg

799875.jpg

799868.jpg

My plans include a thourough cleaning, I already took off the spare and will have the ensuing dents repaired as well as the ones on the rear corners, Redo the front seats, I have a fresh 1600 and 36 Dellortos for it and most likely a lowering job and some wheels. Maybe the five spoke EMPI`s I have in the garage. Oh, and a Berg shifter. First question, what`s the best thing to put on the dash to bring it back to life? I live in central California so something I can buy here is a must.

Great looking van 8)

Regards the dash, start with warm soapy water and plenty of elbow grease :mrgreen:

Thanks. So far I have done all the brakes (I still have to deal with the upper res.) and I just finished with the motor and installing it. The harness with twisted up right before it enters the engine compartment so I had to redo that. And I`ve taken the old curtains out (they fell apart). Hope to have it running by the weekend.

A little update....
First thing on the list was a complete brake job so.... off with the belly pan only to find 30 years of cobwebs.
811767.jpg

Here`s what was in the pan.
811766.jpg

Yuck. A trip to the powder coaters was in order for the pan. Got a new MC on here and after a failed attempt at buying a "Good" upper res. I just bought a new later style which I still have to figure out a good way to mount. But I got all the brakes at the wheels done.
811768.jpg

The inner fenderwells are all in perfect condition so they will just need a cleanup.
Had the tank cleaned out powder coated along with the filler and vent tube.
811769.jpg

I got a recent rebuilt 1600 from a friend so scrounged some tin for it and had that powder coated too.
811770.jpg

Restored a set of 36 Dellortos so with those and a CB Performance exhaust and a German 009 hopefuuly it will get me down the road at a decent rate of speed. I have a later trans I may have rebuilt if the original one in it proves to be bad. Will also replace the CV axles and rear bearings later too. I want to drive it first.
811771.jpg

No time to post pics tonight but I have gotten the motor in and started. Just need to dial in the timing and jetting a little still. Also cleaned up the cab floor/ seat pedestal area and put the Berg shifter in. Still have to clean up the dash. I`ll post pics this week.

Been awhile since I posted so here`s what`s been going on. I got the motor in and running. For some reason letely when I run Dells on a 1600 I have to run them on the rich side to get rid of the flat spot so I still have tuning to do. And still have to install air cleaners and heater hoses.
827966.jpg

Got the cab pretty much cleaned up. Still have some more to do on the dash and the seats will need redoing. Oh, I just got some nice vents too.
827969.jpg

Battery tray is totally solid just ugly. I may respray it when the corners and nose get done.
827968.jpg

827967.jpg

And got the paint compounded, polished and waxed. All but the nose and rears corners which are getting bodywork and touchup. I hate nose mounted spare tires!
827965.jpg

827964.jpg

I picked up the bumpers from powder coat today and will hopefully get the dented up nose and rear corners done and maybe the front floor too. After that I will start on all the window rubber. (Its petrified from sitting out for 30 years). Then either a full lowering job or stock height and powder coated wheels.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - great job 8)

The engine might run differently once the air filters are in place.

Got the bumpers back from powder coat. Assembled them with Wolfsburg West pads. Tried their white beading for the front but wasn`t happy with the fit so I just left it off. I think it looks better without anyway.
829719.jpg

829720.jpg

829722.jpg

829723.jpg

Before I put them on I`m sending the Bus to the bodyshop for a nosejob.

Doing some lovely work there - and its a nice solid bus too :)

If the flat spot is still there after fitting the air filters then check the small brass vac tubes on the carbs are blocked off.

If you then still have the flat spot the answer is to fit a dissy with a vac advance unit on it connected to the correct port of the carb - one is enough you dont need to T off both carbs.

The reason is because the vac type dissy is the type meant for this engine and without it you dont get enough ignition advance when pulling away from rest.

All the vacuum lines are blocked and Dellortos (And pretty much all other dual carbs) run best with mechanical advance distributors. I have tried a couple different ones on it too but so far the german 009 is working best.

Bryan67 said:
All the vacuum lines are blocked and Dellortos (And pretty much all other dual carbs) run best with mechanical advance distributors. I have tried a couple different ones on it too but so far the german 009 is working best.

Something about horses and water springs to mind :lol:

You look like you're doing a good job matey, i must admit i've not strayed much off our little "latebay" area but this one called to me 'cos if i ever swapped to an early i would want a '68 as it's my year of birth - is that sad? anyway keep up the good work.

Latest posts