• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1969 Deluxe Microbus Brilliant Blue (UPDATED)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedbuggyseb

Reaction score
SOLD! SOLD! SOLD SOLD!

SOLD! Last weekend to Arron, Amy, Laylah. We think that you will love it as much as we did. Thank you again. Seb

LHD APRIL 1969 Deluxe Microbus Brilliant Blue

***Re-advertising it due to people wasting our time. No one has actually been to look at this bus yet but we have been holding off on the advertising as so many people have said they were going to come to have a look and have then let us down.

We have not pushed this sale but would really like to sell it. Any serious offers considered.***

For sale is our very original, very solid, very straight Californian Bay Window. Apologies for the essay in advance but if you are serious about buying this bay then you will want to know every detail.

HISTORY OF THE BUS

This Californian Bay has had one owner until recently when a father and son bought the van to restore as a project, but then probably went for a burger and it was forgotten.

We bought it because it looked amazing with perfect patina, and although it was a very cool looking & solid van, it was showing all the signs of 40 years baking in the dusty desert. The rubbers were cracked and as hard as concrete. The headliner was almost non existent, and almost all of the interior plastic and trim disintegrated as soon as we touched it. Not to mention it was filthy with 40 years of dust and sand.

THE RESTO

We have stripped this van pretty much completely, and everything that was damaged was replaced with new or perfect genuine original VW parts. The interior in particular did have a lot of broken trim pieces although at the same time it was clear this van was very original and unmolested. All the right pieces were in the right places, they had just been destroyed by 40 years of baking LA sun.

Over 6 very busy months, and not one second of expense, spared in time or money we:

Stripped the complete interior, Cleaned, rustored (protected) or replaced all genuine parts.

Replaced the correct type original cloth sound deadening matting stuck to the roof exactly as original and complete Deluxe Headliner, including all the original pillar and other trim pieces. NOS Genuine sun visors, working interior light etc. This combined with the next part took 7 weeks solid of every single long evening and weekend.

At this point we sandblasted and 2k repainted all of the original Deluxe Microbus pop out windows, polished to like new, waxed, and white greased round every piece of window aperture on the entire van,then fitted new genuine VW rubbers and deluxe trim all round.
This was a massive job, but has transformed it and protected it for hopefully another 40 years to come.

Because every part of the van has been removed every part of the bodywork and every cavity and part has been cleaned, hoovered, blown with an airline or whatever it needed, polished, greased, anchor waxed, polished again

THE ORIGINAL 1600 SP ENGINE REBUILD

Our mate Kev (VW Master Technian & serious air cooled enthusiast) helped us do a top end rebuild of the engine. Two NOS heads fitted, New reground valves, obvious full new Elring gasket replacement, pushrod tubes, new quality original style exhaust, full service, all new quality parts etc etc Its got great compression, zero end float. We have done around 500 miles in it since the rebuild and I was driving it into work (50 mile round trip) - and its runs great – quiet, good pull doesn’t miss a beat.

NOW DRY STORED

All Engine tin wear was either very nice and original or repainted and the engine bay and fuel tank area look very nice, almost as good as new

ELECTRICS

All of the original electrics have been thoroughly gone through by a great Old Boy Auto electrician who is very well reputed in the local area. Nothing replaced, just serviced and checked to make sure everything is as it should be.

We have fitted Z-Hinges to the proper Deluxe Bus rear seat so that it folds down to make a bed. We were really impressed by how they work and make it easy to convert from a microbus into something comfy to go away in. We have camped in it using the bed and it’s easy and comfy.

If we were to keep the bus there are only 2 things that ideally need to be sorted out which are:

There are two penny piece holes in the footwell in the front cab floor that have been anchor waxed so they do not get any worse.

Under the battery in the engine bay you can see where the battery has leaked in the past and has damaged this area.

One original key fit all locks.

This van is a great van for someone to put his or her own mark on it. All the hard work has been done. It’s a blank canvas - slam it, put some shiny wheels on or keep it stock and enjoy.

All of the above can be seen in detail in 100’s of photos at the below link. You can also see loads of stuff that I haven’t mentioned above like its great engine bay with original paint, perfect fuel tank (I don’t think anyone has every removed the panel to expose the tank before as its perfect/not even dusty!), solid underneath. Some of the pictures have descriptions so you will have to click on them.

Basically like a brand new 1969 bay inside and mechanically but with a little bit of fantastic added original character already worn into the outside.

We have been to literally hundreds of shows all over Europe in the last 25 years and this is definitely one of the nicest We've seen, since really looking recently .

Comes with full set of new thermo mats and complete spares kit.

View resto pics at:

IMG_0278-1.jpg

Password: 1969Bay

Tax exempt. 12 months MOT.

Selling to help finance other projects. We will consider part exchanges for something air-cooled and solid. Would really like a solid razor edge with some patina!

PRICE £12,695

Located Farnham, Surrey (GU9)
Any questions call Seb on 07917 192637 or Penny on 07917 192638. Can tell you lots more about it.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_0274-1.jpg

IMG_0272-1.jpg

IMG_0256-1.jpg

IMG_0251-1.jpg

IMG_0253-1.jpg

IMG_0254-1.jpg

IMG_0255-1.jpg

IMG_0240-1.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

f79858e6.jpg

Were those first few pics taken at Hive Beach nr Bridport, Dorset?!

Hi, yes they were, exactly there, just before you go down the hill into Abbotsbury, one of our favourite places, when we went down there for the weekend the other week. Well observed and thanks for looking. Seb

MORE PICTURES

IMG_0249-1.jpg

IMG_0241-1.jpg

IMG_0256-1.jpg

IMG_0265-1.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1688-2.jpg

IMG_1698-1.jpg

IMG_1693-1.jpg

How brilliantly observant of me! We just came back from staying near West Bay and went to Hive beach many times - lovely beach and great food in the hive cafe!

Abbotsbury is beautiful - very picturesque.

lovely looking bus by the way - good luck with your sale!

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0276-1.jpg

This van needs to be seen to be believed. Compared to most other busses we have seen it doesn't compare.

Hi there I'm interested in your bay just wondered if you had a price in mind as I'm a fair way from you and don't want to mess you about

I can vouch for this van, it really is lovely. 8)

Seb - pop a price up though dude? ;)

It sure looks nice it's just up my street I have cash waiting but it's just how much lol I have and I need to convert it to a camper it's ticking all the boxes so far

Hi thanks for the great comments Guys. I think that the overall quality of this van can only really be properly appreciated, when you have seen it in all its original metal glory, as you have Clem! ;) Seb

The price is sensible offers around £13,500. We know exactly what is out there and what you can get for your money, and this is definitely one of the best original vans around!

Back up for sale!

We have also just had the electrics thoroughly gone through by an old skool auto-electrician at a cost of £300.

Now has one years full MOT started this week. All it needed was two light bulbs and 4 track rod end dust caps. MOT inspector's exact words were "absolutely no corrosion - lovely van".

Can be seen in the early bay line up out the back at the Volksworld Show. We will be trading upstairs in the swapmeet all weekend 07917192637.

As seen in the Early Bay line up at the Volksworld Show this weekend. Thanks for that Clem ;)

speedbuggyseb said:
As seen in the Early Bay line up at the Volksworld Show this weekend. Thanks for that Clem ;)

No worries Seb, lovely van to have there. It must sell soon, it's lush!

Re-advertising it due to people wasting our time. No one has actually been to look at this bus yet but we have been holding off on the advertising as so many people have said they were going to come to have a look and have then let us down.

We have not pushed this sale but would really like to sell it. Any serious offers considered.

Come on people, if you want an early bay you can use as a microbus but also go camping in try me with an offer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts