1969 Savannah Beige Project Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandy-august

Reaction score
Hello,

Been meaning to post a few pictures of our Bus for a while no but not really had the time to do it. We bought this imported deluxe bus at the start of February and sine have been working flat out at weekends and evenings. The plan is to get it mechanically revived and reliable for a trip into France in August, and lots of long weekend breaks before the trip.

We saw an advert on a website that sells imported VW in North Wales, so went to have a look as it was advertised as 'regards rust, there are minor areas such as under the windscreen and tiny amount on drivers step. A day's work for a welder.' and 'This bus was running and driving on the US roads a few months ago but the owner decided to sell without the engine. The benefit to you is this bus literally just needs a engine putting in the back'. Upon inspection it appeared that it needed a bit more work than that was advertised but it looked to be solid and pretty much complete and un-molested so we bought it.

Since then I have built a 1641 motor using an as41 case, cleaned up the gearbox, replaced all wheel-bearings, CV joints, upper and lower ball joints, track rods/arms, idler pin, anti-rollbar bushes, fuel filler and breather hoses, welded a new front panel on, done some floor repairs to the cab and cargo floor. replaced the rear corner and battery tray, rewired lights for use in the UK, fitted new seals, repaired doorlocks... the list could continue!! All braking had pretty much bee replaced when it was bought.

The front seats have been re-trimmed using covers from Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers, fitted by my wonderful Girlfriend, we have a west rock and roll bed that she has re-trimmed too.

I have tried to get it mechanically sound and reliable and have tried to change out anything I feel should be replaced to make it reliable, I'm still collecting parts. I have the time now to post this as it passed its MOT first time with no advisories and so the V55/5, NOVA and title are off to the DVLA for a reg plate.

I'll post a few pics to show the progress:

Thanks for looking, I will post more updates when I have some :)

This arrived today, off to hopefully find somewhere to get some black pressed plates in the morning :)

Go the new plates fitted, I couldn't find black pressed ones on a saturday morning so bought the white and yellow kind and got away for the weekend to The Great British Campout, it pulled well but the steering was iffy at speed, so decided to get the steering box reconditioned by Graham at Midland Early Bay, he had a spare in stock so fitted it up this weekend, drives much better now.

Bit of a bugger to get off!

Reconditioned

Plan is to now lower a touch, just how to go about it now is the decision..

great bus and looks like you know what you're doing.. Low looks good but lots of people return to stock, also looks like stock height works well with your awning.

1 spline drop on the rear and 2" at the front is very subtle ... i went too low at the front initially and then changed back to a higher set of coilovers ... much better now :D

Bluesnailman said:
great bus and looks like you know what you're doing.. Low looks good but lots of people return to stock, also looks like stock height works well with your awning.

It's definitely going lower, handles like a boat as it is. I can just chop the awning down ;)

I have a set of slamwerks adjustable spring plates to go on the rear, thinking of a french slammer setup front but have a beam with adjusters sitting there but having doubts about fitting that.

Cool bus - get the french slammer gear fitted!
Its some of the best I have seen!
Great pics and resto 8)

Well the van made it over to France in the summer and has been on a few other problem free trips.

image_zpsqq0uhjhy.jpeg

And being tucked up for winter, and now with the better weather (and missing a flight and a few days of a holiday) I decided to finally hit it with the lowering stick.

IMG_6130_zpsetxhmugb.jpg

IMG_6260_zps2o0cbmpm.jpg

IMG_6248_zpssdspjdg6.jpg

Now looking and driving much better

IMG_6329_zpsjqku3wk6.jpg

IMG_6258_zpsqnuoe9wf.jpg

Next job.. PAINT

Latest posts