1970 RHD walk though devon Pics at last.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbope

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought it about time to put some pics of my van in this gallery and say hello! - You guys have been most helpful in me getting it on the road over last 6 months!

I have a strong history of Veedubs over the last 14 years and had been 'dubless' for the last couple! Took the plunge in June and did the 500 mile trip to fetch this beast.

PO had done a lot of work mainly on body - including a Bare metal respray 3 years ago - he had owned it for 7 years but not really gone very far in it. I have done a fair bit to it to recomission it -

It failed The MOT on front beam corrosion and brake adjustment which I suppose isnt too bad as its done about 3000 miles in 7 10 years!

I have done the following:

-Checked engine over 1600SP - New SP heads, Srtipped and painted tinware, New coil,plugs.points,leads etc
-New Weedeater Beam (STD width) as old one rotten (correct length shocks now required!)
-Slight drop at front (was lower but awful ride on stock shocks)
-Gone through wiring (some nasty bodges....)
-Strip and rebuild brakes
-Welding under drivers seat (inner arch)
-Fitted 2 front seat belts (Inertia reel) and a 3 point in rear for Baby
-New gear linkages
-sourced new inlet manifold and spent 2 days unplugging heat risers with caustic soda!

Seem to go well - few jobs to do - mainly get a stereo in her and buy some correct length CE shocks to match beam!

Future plans (apart from repair what breaks!) are Get heating working for next winter (currently running J tubes) and retrim curtains and seats. Also fit a 3 way fridge and maybe lay my hands on a 2nd buddy seat. A split charge system, leisure battery and some 12v strip lighting in rear are on the cards too.

Not sure if colours are VW but it looks nice. Originally was Savannah Beige. It has a part original/part rebuilt devon interior. Bed and everything works well.

Very pleased with her so far but TBH have probably spent more time and money so far that was expecting!

Cant wait till next year to try her out camping!
15092010135.jpg

P6030655.jpg

21062010037.jpg

Very nice. I thinks this is the van and owners i met in Uffington. Very similar if not.

Cheers for all the comments guys! It wasnt us in Uffingham dude - we must have some `clones`!

Im not sure of the colour - the PO didnt seem to know - even though he had it bare metal resprayed! :?

It looks nice though - although there is so much I want to do it `under the skin`. It will never be finished in my eyes - Im sure the same as everyone else on here!

Love seeing all the buses on here - will keep my gallery up to date as and when I do any mods.

Hi Chaps and Girls,

Thought it was time I put some more pics up of my bus and what I got up to in 2012...

It started back in march and we headed off into the fog for volksworld 2012! Then show wise we did Jimmys Farm, Stanford Hall, Whitenoise and VW action.

Next year I hope to go to Big Bang (was on schedule for this year but rain sorted that..), The Lavenham meet and deffo go back to Alive and dubbin and whitenoize...

Jobs this year completed on the van: 3 bow roof rack bought of here from some dude in essex, Autometer Rev counter also bought off here! The MOT gave me little trouble - new washer bottle. I had Zedbed service the pedal block last christmas as all pedals had almost seized! T2D had it in recently and did the flywheel oil seal, clutch,engine bay gearbox seal, fuel lines, and a few other little jobs. they also overhauled the throttle linkage so I now get full throttle!

Ive done all other work myself up to now - having a 1 and 3 year old tend to limit spannering time so I ve payed people to do it this year!!

We have camped as a family in Devon at Woolacombe Bay resort which was amazing and been up to Deepdale farm in North norfolk twice (local to us) which is very family and VW bus friendly. Ive even used it to sleep in when doing a trade show for work!! (Boss had his LWB motorhome, colleague had his converted Hitop LWB transit and then mine all in a row - the smallest but coolest for sure!)

Highlights deffo Devon and family time in van - lowlights when throttle linkage fell apart on a wet roundabout on way back from lifestyles how in hunstanton.....And when some scumbag tried to thieve it off the driveway a couple of months ago resulting in smashed quaterlight and keyed locks etc..Still cleared out garage now so she is safely tucked up out of sight!

Plans for 2013 include remaking a 2nd buddy seat, split charge and leisure battery and re do stereo as sounds ok when parked up but shit when driving!! Will be posting some questions in another section about the stereo for some ideas!

Thanks for looking! :D

DSC_0750.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010063.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg