• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 VW Dormobile fully loaded ready to go

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOM68

Reaction score
The time has come to sell my 71 Dormobile due to the lack of use. It is a 4 birth, having a double bed and the two fold away hammocks in the roof. It has the complete and fully functional interior which considering is 47 years old is in really good condition, this includes both buddy seats in the original orange material. Only issue with the interior is the handle to the cool box is cracked and chipped an the rear seat could do with recovering as the top corner has torn due to rubbing against the rear seat belt mech. My good lady hand made replacement curtains all round, including the cab windows, (not shown in the photos below) however the original curtains although faded etc will come with the van.

Body work overall in my opinion is in good condition, I have had the rear lower corners replaced and work done on the offside main panel, (someone had butchered it to fit a fridge.) Photos of this work can be provided. There are areas that need attention, such as the roof, it has faded slightly and there are a couple of light surface rust areas there and on the gutters but nothing that cannot be quickly sorted if you are looking for it to be perfect. The drivers door will need replaced, however it doesn’t look bad and can still be used as is. The bumpers and wheels were powder coated, however they have started to show their age slightly. There are other small areas that again in my opinion would not take much work to sort out.

It is running a 2007cc that happily moves along with everyday traffic and has been very reliable. It is also running twin Kadrons, (original not the new cheap type) and a Vintage Speed exhaust which sounds very nice! It was built from all new components by Daz Chandler of Aircooled Performance, I have all the paperwork that details the various parts used. His workmanship is 2nd to none and the engine runs like a dream!! I have had the van sitting at 70mph fully loaded with kit and people and it doesn’t miss a beat!!. The original engine although in parts is included in the sale. Also with it being the 71 model it has disc brakes up front which makes a massive difference, the callipers were overhauled a couple of years ago so have plenty of life left in them.

I could go on forever about the originality of the van (still has the front and middle belly pans fitted, all the original stickers in the rear window from the previous owners travels. And the fact it comes fully loaded with roof rack, awning, tables etc, however I would rather discuss this level of detail over the phone or via email.

Am more than happy to email photos, but please no photo collectors or tyre kickers. Due to being away during the week, viewing of the van will only be at weekends. Price wise, I am not really sure what it is all worth, so I will say £18000.

Please feel free to drop me a pm if you are interested or if you think my figure is off the mark.

Latest posts