• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Westfalia Velvet Green Tintop Restored NOW SOLD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi-Wan-Jay

Reaction score
Usual story, house purchase looming, makes this a very reluctant sale of my 1971 Westfalia Tintop.
Imported by me from California two years ago, I had a restoration go-through at a local VW restorer, although the bus was in great shape when I got it.
Have spent over £8,000 on this including engine rebuild, mechanical parts change and full respray in VW Velvet Green.
Had some great fun in it camping away last year and it really gets comments about how nice it is wherever it goes.
It also featured in an Indie band pop video last year which was quite cool in itself, the link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfG74vPofEE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wanted to keep it stock so there is no lowering and the westfalia interior is original although there are a few parts missing or chipped bits of veneer. It has a buddy seat which would need recovering, Westy sink unit, missing the plastic sink and tap spout although the base is there. Has the original ice box in there and has the water container for the rear. I never got round to drilling a hole in the floor for the sink. Westy wardrobe which needs a small repair and is a bit faded at the rear and westy rock and roll bed. I have removed the rear and both seat cushions so the new owner has carte blanche on interior seats. Also removed the curtains so again, your choice. Got the original westy table, although it’s not shown in the photos.
It’s all there to see. You can either get your seat cushions on and go or sell this interior for a modern one. I always liked it as it is.
Work carried out includes the following:
Interior: All new window and door seals
New Birchwood headliner
New front windscreen glass
New marine ply double layer flooring
Original VW radio installed.
Wood door and side panels
Internal respray Velvet Green
Exterior:
Full professional rub down and respray over the original VW white, using the original colour as base coat, in VW Velvet Green. Roof painted white.
Front bumper blasted and repainted in VW White
Mechanical:
1600cc engine rebuild
Full recon including pistons, heads, bearings, con rods. Carb given an overhaul. Engine runs sweet however there is a flat spot due to sitting for 6 months so I will be taking it to the restorers again for tuning plus oil change, points and leads and plugs.
Brakes had new shoes
Ball joints replaced
Gearbox overhauled, flushed and painted
Full under body waxoil and seal
New UK spec headlights
I kept the original rear US red taillights on with the purple spot in just because it looks cool.
Just had an MOT and got tax which being a 1971 is free of course.
I’ve got all the receipts from the work had on it and I only covered 1500 last year in it. Really solid rust free example that will give years of trouble free motoring.
So add in the cost of new curtains, £150, plus some new foams and seat covers for the rear and away you go. It really was in good condition when I brought it in the states but I always fancied a velvet green one and wanted the mechanicals gone through so she didn’t break down with the missus and kids in!
Bus is located in Suffolk. Drop me a line for more info.
NOW SOLD
Pictures can be found here:

http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/Obi-wan-Jay/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts