3rd and 4th gear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1970bay

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
I am unable to select 3rd or 4th gear just revs as if in neutral. Or slight grind then just revs.

We have had the can on axle stands and tried the gears with engine of seem to think we have them as wheels don’t spin. With engine running we think we can get them, however there is no one of knowing to us if we have selected 1st and 2nd in this test.

The gears were all working fine when the clutch went. We have had that. Replaced, engine was also rebuilt for us by a air cooled guy. So clutch it’s self I can’t see being issue. Could the clutch adjustment on cable effect this?
Van was recovered of low loader and rolled
The bush at bottom of the shifter is about 2 years old and looks fine. And seems to go to different angles when you go from 1st to 3rd.
The rear coupling is also a couple years old along with bushes in the tube. The coupler is moving as you change gear, again not sure if moving where it should be but appears to be different angles.

Any ideas? What to try, or is it going to be gear box internals?

Yes, clutch adjustment is critical. Measure how far the clutch pedal is off the floor, then measure again with just the weight of your hand with very little pressure until you feel definite resistance so how much slop do you have. How far can you move the clutch pedal down as a separate person watches the thrust bearing fork and bearing until it actually moves. If you are not sure how to adjust the cable, see if you can find any slack wherethe cable goes through the fork. I’m thinking that you could get the wing nut vertical then tighten it two whole rotations then another two so you’ve done four all together, if you then try and get your gears while driving, perhaps do it again, but write down exactly how much you’ve tightened. Worse case scenario is you’ll possibly get a bit of clutch slip if you tighten it too much but you could easily slacken it off if that’s the case. If tightening / adjusting don’t work then I’d think your clips aren’t seating properly that hold your thrust / release bearing in.

Ozziedog',,,,,,,,,,,great these vans intem :)

Think that might be the right area, my mate did the clutch when we put it back in not sure. What he did if anything. Tighten it And got more grinding. Loosen it a and extra turn than tighten and less grinding not get gears still.
Going to get the old man over one night and get him to assist, Have ago to see if it’s me being stupid ( daily is auto like most newer cars) only have an hour of light after work.

The free play of the clutch is fairly critical - from memory the pedal needs to move 10-15mm before encountering resistance (check this figure is correct before applying!). Too little and the cable will be over-extending which can stretch it or damage the release bearing. Too much and the clutch won’t be fully disengaging and you’ll get crunchy gears.

Start with this easy task and go from there!

First of all, free clutch play. 1/2" or 12mm at the pedal before resistance is felt
Secondly, if you haven't got your clutch cable installed like this you'll get shift problems.

Thirdly, adjust the gear shift.
Put it into 2nd gear, loosen the two bolts holding the base of the gearshift and move the gearstick so that the bottom bit is vertical and the cranked bit is at 30 degrees to the rear of the van. Then move the shift plate as far left as possible without moving the gearstick. Tighten the two bolts. This should help selection of 1st and 2nd.
If the lever doesn't travel straight forward and back in the 1st/2nd plane, try slightly twisting the shift plate.

The clutch cable has been adjusted and all sitting as the picture. Cannot get the gear stick up right in 2nd gear and does not move straight forward regardless of the position. Of the bottom on the stick. My dad convinced it was the hockey stick. Not allowing. It to move..

We have pulled engine and gear box out as thought now is as good time. As ever to change the bushes taken the long shifter bar out not sure of it’s official name. Looks slightly bent at end is that meant to be like that?

Attachments

• BA268A3B-A187-43F4-8229-BD36645E2F14.jpeg
    BA268A3B-A187-43F4-8229-BD36645E2F14.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
With the gear box out and connecting the coupling you can select all 5 gears.
We have noticed there is a scratch part of the shifter rod. Where it enters the tube, so believe that’s. The cause of the issue. We have ordered a replacement rod, can’t. Will let you know how it goes.

While it’s all out giving it a good clean under there to get rid of the old flack ie under seal. Wiping over with petrol still original colour in places.

Latest posts