6-pot Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... Interiors! :D

When i bought the bus I believed it had a set of Z-Products bed hinges on the rear seat... This was half-true but the mech which lifts the seat base up and forward, has been cut off.
Much as I would like to keep the microbus seats in, I do intend to use the van for lots of camping and also need to keep my lovely wife happy! Had been thinking i would get a Rusty Lee number in there and have a crack at making some basic units over the winter.
Then, a few weeks ago I managed to pick up a complete Devon Torvette (i believe) interior for £230 on ebay :mrgreen: It came out of a very rough looking 69 tin-top which has been gutted for fitment of a more modern interior :shock: It's also being treated to a late bay pop roof and is destined for a life of summer holiday rentals. It was a shame to separate the interior from the bus but at least I'm going to love, appreciate and care for it. Plus, as i said, the 69 was rough! I can't see it being back on the road any time soon.
It would have been nice to take everything out myself and see where all the fixings went but it had already been stripped by the time the auction ended. I may need to ask a few questions when it comes to instation.

Anyway!... this weekend, I cleared everything out and dropped in the Devon kit.

The table top is covered in glue and is missing the 4 legs + brackets as well as the edge trim... and the wall mount...

Cooker needs a bit of a scrub...

Looks like there has been a bit of leakage out back in the 69... The laminate has lifted and the drawers are a bit stiff.

Had some concerns that the RHD layout might not make sense with my sliding door on the wrong side. The buddy seat and cooker will be easy to swap over but I wasn't sure about the bed...

The bed action is silky smooth and very sturdy!
There is also a nice top locker that i forgot to photograph.

It all looks pretty good and I'm not foreseeing any serious issue with the bed position. Overall, well chuffed and more importantly, my wife loves it too! Up til now, i don't think she's been able to picture the bus being usable any time soon. The MOT, registration and mechanical gremlin ironing so far, haven't impressed her. Beds and cookers is REAL progress! Looking forward to her face on our first breakdown and compromised camping trip :lol:

So... the cushions are all past their best. Will be getting some made up in the same Devon style at some point. Originals will then be up for sale, in case they're of use to anyone. An interesting feature of this interior is the Easicool cooler beside the main bed / seat, insread of the more common side sink unit. I don't plan on keeping this and would like to fit a cupboard unit there, so on the lookout for one... :msn4: I understand this syle of Easicool is pretty rare and may also have been fitted to late split conversions too? Any info on this would be appreciated... Hopefully there is a wealthy splitscreen owner out there, just desperate for one! :lol:

Nice updates mate, have been meaning to ask how you're getting on. Devon interior looks awesome too :msn4:

Looking good stink, ref your anti roll bar, i would stick with it only try mounting it on top of the lower arm moving away from the ground.

I'm not quite sure about the arb it shouldn't be lower than the beam? Is it fixed in the right position?

this is mine I put on last year, which is also a heavy duty one. I painted it black. hth.

Webbaldo said:
Really like your van mate. Worn paint is spot on. :eek:
Thank you :D
I've been pretty lucky, as it is a 70s blow-over. There are a couple of bits that need sealing in somehow but nothing too drastic. I hadn't checked your thread for a while... You've certainly been busy!! Lot of respect is due for the driveway paintjob - it's looking fantastic. I didn't realise they will colour-match Rustoleum... Definitely ordering some Brilliant Blue to do my floors. Do you know if they can work to a VW paint code?

admwllms said:
Nice updates mate, have been meaning to ask how you're getting on. Devon interior looks awesome too :msn4:
Cheers buddy. Bit slow-moving really... Need to get onto the oil leaks ASAP before I can use it in anger. So, you're fully relocated to Espana now! How are you finding everything?

*Sam* said:
Looking good stink, ref your anti roll bar, i would stick with it only try mounting it on top of the lower arm moving away from the ground.
mike202 said:
I'm not quite sure about the arb it shouldn't be lower than the beam? Is it fixed in the right position?

this is mine I put on last year, which is also a heavy duty one. I painted it black. hth.

Thanks Gents! :mrgreen: I did wonder about it belonging topside... Comparing pictures, mine just looks to be a bit of an odd shape. Too flat... The front edge drops and digs in as the arms move up. To be honest, I had hoped to have made some decisions and progress regarding further lowering by now but a serious cash shortage is holding things up. Still liking the idea of the Vintage Autohaus set-up but I just don't know if I need to / can go that low. There's an almighty gutter drop to get to the lock-up and it barely clears at the moment. Given the fact that it has a bit of poke, Red9 also appeals but would totally bankrupt me!

For the time being, I guess I do need to persevere with what I have, try to figure out the ARB and wind it down a bit further on the adjusters!

Don't suppose any of you guys are doing Slough Swapmeet on Nov 1st :?:

StinkBomber said:
Cheers buddy. Bit slow-moving really... Need to get onto the oil leaks ASAP before I can use it in anger. So, you're fully relocated to Espana now! How are you finding everything?

Settling in nicely now thanks, we're lucky because it's still warm enough to have a bit of fun in the pool and on the beach before it starts to get a bit cooler. It's awesome being able to drive the bus around in such sunny and warm weather too, big change from rainy north wales :D

Latest posts