6-pot Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Mike.
Wish i could take credit for the welding. It's a pretty tidy job :D
Least it's a nice dual carriageway with a hard shoulder, on the way to the garage!

Well... it only went and passed! :mrgreen:

Did total of 18 miles to the garage & back, on trade plates. Took it easy on the way there but with ticket in hand, got up to a thrilling 55mph on the way back! :shock:
Ran really well, up through the revs. Minimal wandering. Brakes are great, shifting nicely... Just got to look at balljoint rubbers and cv boots soon, as they're all starting to look a bit ropey.

Was NOT expecting it to be this easy. I've really fallen on my feet here!

Looked good, down on the rollers... Need to get a plan of action together for the suspension. It was down on the bump stops a lot :?

well done, sounds like a great result, and a good bus.
ref cv boots i havnt found a decent set of replacements yet think i have changed mine twice in 3 years, when fitted i dont secure the shaft end as using the corvair box it seams the shafts are extended a little bit more than standard and you might find you will have split cv boots again very quickly,
ref ball joint boots, when I replaced the ball joints I damaged one of the new boots so fitted a replacement new boot to that, that only lasted 2 years before spliting,
just saying to let you know there seems to be a lot of crap out there.

P.S. i tend to drive at 55 most of the time anyway (speedo says 65 lol)

Loving it! 8)
Definitely running better too, after a good spanking yesterday evening! :mrgreen:

Probably only done about 25 miles so far... Following a bit of a hic-up with the DVLA (forgetting to sign & date the application! :roll: ) I finally got my reg number last week!

Since the last update, I've replaced the windscreen seal and temporarily treated a couple of crusty spots on the lip...

Treated all other seals, trim panels and headlining with Autoglym vinyl & rubber care stuff. Has worked wonders softening everything up.

Chopped the bump stops off the beam, as they were getting in the way :evil:

Started installing oil pressure and temp gauges... still work in progress.

Am working my way round all the door seals this week. Slider and engine lid are only ones in so far. Picked out most of the passenger side cab door tonight. Any tips on clearing out the nasty bits of rubber that are left behind?

Wanted to get a decent coat of wax on everything, so have given it a light hand polish and healthy dose of good old fashioned turtle wax. It looks a bit smarter in the pictures than it is up close. There's still plently of nice pale areas and colour variation :D

Not much going on interior-wise yet...
Bus was supposed to come with a set of z-products hinges fitted but turns out that the base mechs have been cut out at some stage. Only the tilty backrest bit is still there :(
Thinking i might have to grab a set of the NLA repros to get it sleepable for the time being, while i figure out a longer term interior plan

Looking bloody awesome that is mate. Can I ask where you got the seals from? I need some deluxe style for my side quarterlights and side rear windows and don't want to buy shit ones (again!).

Cheers buddy. I'm pretty pleased with where it's at.

You recovered from your Spanish adventure yet? :D

I was recommended this VWIB screen seal from C&C
http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/baywindiw_window_parts/deluxe_window_seals--and--chromel_inserts/german_quality_deluxe_front_screen_seal_with_groove_for_metal_or_plastic_insert_68-79_5980/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't comment on longevity yet but it looks great and went in like a dream. Getting the chrome trim in is hard on the thumbs tho! Re-use your existing trim if you can.

Not looking forward to the side windows... I hear even good 1/4 light ones leak :(

Have also bought a load of VWIB door seals from VW Parts Emporium. Working round them at the moment but all look top notch. Sliding door didn't even need gluing

Nice one mate, much obliged, cheers! Looks like you'll be nice and watertight once you're done.

Yeah, recovered now. We've been out in the bus just locally to the beach or whatever pretty much every day since we got back. Thought we'd be sick of it but can't wait to go on another roadtrip in it :D

Excellent!
Can't wait to take mine on a decent run. Been spanking it round like a hooligan tonight :msn4:

Well... bit lazy on updates but a fair bit has been going on. The steering seemed to develop a LOT of play all of a sudden. I was worried that it was steering box related but a bit of investigation revealed clonky drag link ball joints. I wouldn't have expected these to get bad suddenly but the new drag link seems to have solved everything :)
Nice easy job but after much hammer twatting, i did have to jack the bus up on the splitter to get the front joint apart :msn4:

Oh, did I mention my massive heffing great sway bar?
It's definitely my first point of contact with the ground. What's the deal here - Do i really need it?

I really want to use my OG domey hubcaps but the 14's won't fit over my discs and the 15's currently fitted are T3 ones without the domey cap clips...
So, just for fun, i popped my mate's spare 4.5 x 15's on the front. They're fitted with smart car tyres. Steering felt pretty horrible and the load rating gives me the fear.

Discuss...

Oh, and this led to a lot of sway bar / ground contact.

Everything had been going so well on local runs that i decided to try a longer trip, 40ish miles to the Ace Cafe meet in August. No real issues. Temp held steady on the motorway. No problem keeping up with traffic and even did some overtaking! :mrgreen:

Do any other LHD owners have a problem with people cruising in the middle lane, right in your blind spot? I don't know if they're looking at the bus or something but it seemed to happen a few times. Learning to tripple check!

Although all went well on the trip into London, since i got back my oil leakage is definitely worse. I have rocker cover gaskets and pushrod tube seals ready to fit but everything's a bit tight to the engine mount bar, on the left. Not sure if i can do those bits with the lump in-situ or not... Maybe best to pull it, give it a good scrub and see if it's pissing from anywhere else too!

A few days after the Ace, i lost 2nd & 4th gear... The gear linkage is a home brewed affair - part VW, part Chevrolet, part B&Q! On initial inspection, everything seemed to be in place and i was worried that the fault was internal to the box. Looking closer, it turned out that a sleeved joint in the linkage had broken and one part was sliding over the other... It would push the selector shaft inwards but wouldn't pull it out, into 2nd or 4th. To cut a frustrating story short, it was a bitch to get the remnants of the linkage off the selector shaft but a workmate knocked up a new rear section for me and everything's pretty good now... Still a little tweaking to be done to improve reverse selection but totally driveable. Also fitted a nice new selector shaft seal which i happened to have already! :mrgreen:

Broken bit...

Bastard collar...

Wasn't pinned, was threaded with head cut / sheared :evil:

New seal...

New linkage section...

Other end of new bit...

As the weather's on the turn and i don't have a driveway or garage, I've had to sort some storage... My mate has just sold his oval, and is sub-letting me his lock-up. Snug fit but just squeezes in there! :mrgreen:

Previous occupant of the garage, modeling my Allstate trailer frame. Trailer is for sale... will be advertising soon :msn4:

Latest posts