'71 Öörli Bay from Finland

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of getting it MOT'ed first and then slamming it next winter. But Now that I tried these wheels on, I would be ashamed to drive it that frigging high. I won the bloody lowest VW competition with my Oval last year, got have some dignity, eh? Got to speed up that narrowed splitty front end project.

My kids really loved the ride, althougt we only went back and forth about 100m long road. But this was their first ride in our own Early Bay. We've been driving a friend's EB for a month now.

Oh, the pics, here you go:

002.jpg

003.jpg

Photoshop:

004.jpg

Will sure look better lower with alloy wheels 8)
Whats that thing hanging under the rear of your bus?

There's a Bugpack turbomufler and starting cables from battery one to 'quick fix' battery two, as battery1 is pretty much shot. While driving I had the engine lid open and the cables hanging on it. :D

Little by little, in EarlyMay some filler and primer:

maalia002.jpg

maalia003.jpg

maalia004.jpg

maalia005.jpg

Mid May some more, and building subwoofer box/middleseat base from old cupboard:

maalia007.jpg

maalia006.jpg

Then I lost interest in prepping the paint, so on with the color. Note the professional paint booth :shock:

maalia008.jpg

maalia010.jpg

maalia011.jpg

maalia012.jpg

First of June, home atlast! With my latest toy!

maalia001.jpg

Nice colour - and nice 911 too :) ... Is the bus Guards red or another VW colour?

Paint is mystery color from the bargain bin of local car paint shop, £20 / 3 litres. I thought it looked a bit like late sixties - early seventies color, so I took it instead of another very popular (savannah) beige.

Porker is 912 from '69. Needs exterior trim and a crank pulley, 'cause it came loose and broke! And euro headlights, those US spec lights are ugly!

Aha.. colour right to the roof - just as an EB should be :wink:

Not wanting to be a detractor but are those LB 'flared' rear wheel arches ?

Nice job all the same - you Scando's are lucky sods having all that work space and open air.

Cheers

james

You're right, they are flared. '71 already had flared rear arches, but non flared at front.

My '71 has the same arches.
Looks like you're making excellent progress there,good work 8)

Well, well - you live and learn - I thought they would have started at the crossover stage..
.. happy to be proved wrong though :wink:

Cheers

james

Some more tinkering. Front seats covered with Wolfsburg West covers and padding. Very nice quality I'd say. Can you spot the difference on the covers to original '71 seat (pic on previous page).

w25005.jpg

w25006.jpg

w25007.jpg

w25011.jpg

w25012.jpg

soupdragon said:
That's really nice.... 8)

There is something really cool about those little pop-tops, they remind me of the SO42 splits, my favourite!

Harry

These small pop tops where an option on early bay Westies and Devons. The one on this bus looks different to any ive seen before (More angular and pronounced) The SO42 type seem smoother.
I think these roofs are really nice on a bay and would consider fitting one on mine if i didnt need the roof bunk. Best of both worlds, extra headroom and room for a nice westy roof rack.

Latest posts