• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

71 westfalia poptop - cali import.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjobenji

Reaction score
Ok, It’s time

After 5/6 years, 2 little boys and the conversion of the garage - it's over.

It’s a really solid bus, lots of history, bills and documents to share. I have an entire service book for an approximate 100,000 miles of life in Mexico. It was imported from California where it was found engineless behind an outbuilding. Lots to read.

Mechanics.
//**brand new tank, petrol sender, Filter King, pipes**//
When I bought it the 1600 engine was just redeveloped by Laurent Petit, a new piston and some ancillaries, I’ve only done 2kish miles and it still runs and drives really nice. It’s very reliable. The engine is mint. Electronic ignition, this bus drives and sounds as it should. It has 72 front brakes; I still have the original 71’s. Drive it anywhere you like, it hums along the motorway really happily.

Body work.
Inside lots of OG paint and patina, its never been touched its shows all its age and history. Outside, front was resprayed when I bought it, underneath its solid, battery tray all original. The rest is all mild dents and dips but paintwork is very clean although I can see signs of overspray which must of happened at some point in its life. Any paint chip I have dabbed a little red oxide.

Interior.
It was a very very tatty and incomplete Westy interior, I have sourced better bits and original westy parts including a new wardrobe and the seats had new vinyl and foam with new seatbelts fitted. I have the spice rack it just needs screwing on. It has a leisure battery, two 12v ports and a battery gauge but no electric hook up. We did lots of festivals and tend to avoid electric hook up style campsites so never needed one. I have also installed a double continental bed in the roof for the kids - DIY job, it has the front bunk as well.

What it needs.
The sliding door hinge needs a little attention but still opens and shuts. Some door rubbers are old and could do with replacing. The front seats I have never got round to doing but all easy jobs. I sort of like them as they are for some reason. underneath very solid could do with a waxoil.

Very usable and good for your own stamp.

Come and see, it’s a part of our family, if you see a little blond 4 yr old boy screaming and pawing at the window shouting “Daddy don’t sell d’campervan”. Ignore, remain strong and focus. I will do my best.

up on here for bit before Fleabay.

We are in Teddington. Tw11.
Thinking 15k

Ben.

20mb image hosting

Latest posts