72 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesp

Reaction score
Just picked up my new toy from KK. At last i've got something with virtually not rot!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Very nice Camper in sierrayellow!
Interior complete? What are your plans for it?
Greeting, Thomas

Hi Vesp,

Nice to see another crossover Westy, looks like a solid OG bus. 8)
Is it a 1.7lt engine?

Be good to see some more pics of the interior.

Nice yellow westy. I'd be itching to polish it, bet it'll come up a treat. 8)

Been awhile since i've updated so. Today i spent most of the day trying to cut back the paint and buff. What a messy job! Anyway i've done most of the van but then ran out of compound so it will have to wait unitl i can pick some more up.
I've stripped the interior out to clean, repair any surface rust and to sound proof/insulate and run cables.

DSC_0363-1.jpg

DSC_0361-1.jpg

I've got lots of little touch-up jobs to do on the paintwork when the weather gets better.

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

Here's where the interior's waiting to be refreshed along with half of the old bus on its end at the back of the garage!

DSC_0366.jpg

In for repairs on the dents and scrapes then a new paint job at Rusty Kampers at the mo, will update with lots of pics soon.... :D

Another one! Well have to start a Sierra yellow club! It's a colour that comes up so well after a t-cut-even after 40 years !

So I dropped her off to RustyKampers for the going over and heres's what she looked like before the transformation.

simonwebb7.jpg

simonwebb4.jpg

Some of the dents and repairs needed.

simonwebb13.jpg

simonwebb11.jpg

simonwebb9.jpg

simonwebb10.jpg

simonwebb14.jpg

And what was an unknown lurking behind the front panel? (More of this later)

IMG_03701.jpg

The start.

simonwebb.jpg

simonwebb22.jpg

simonwebb18.jpg

simonwebb23.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

simonwebb56.jpg

And what was lurking behind the front panel! :confused0068:

simonwebb34.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

More to come.
IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

simonwebb43.jpg

She had probably had a hard smash and as usual it was pulled with a slide hammer and filled with LOTS of filler!

The decision was made that the best repair would be to cut out the worst areas and graft in the minimal amount new metal required.

simonwebb61.jpg

simonwebb67.jpg

simonwebb78.jpg

simonwebb87.jpg

I haven't posted in along while but since it was painted I had a complete switch around.

Firstly I sold the type4 which I thought was a 1700 but turned out to be a 2l. I then fitted a ej22 subaru engine.

Then changed the interior completely because it didn't work for the family. So its now a berlin interior which I have completely re-vaneered in walnut.

I wanted to have a gas bottle in board but didn't want it in the van so I tracked down a T25 on-board gas vessel and made some brakets to get it to fit.

Finally I changed the wheel set up from 15" gas burners to 15" merc steels with semi off road tyres for a complete change of look and ride.

Its just like the tank that is fitted to the late bay berlin but twice as big. It enables me to carry gas for the hob and use a BBQ from it, the cherry on the top is it can be filled up at the gas points in petrol stations. Cheap gas. 8)

Latest posts