Adjustable spring plates fitted, driving like a pogo stick

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicred

Reaction score
Fitted Transporterhaus adj spring plates on my '69. Took off existing, replaced with new adjusting 1 spline. I have standard shocks.

- I just pushed the new ones directly onto the spline without having to jack them up so 'no tension' in the torsion bar at all at rest.
- I have removed TWO bump stops but when driving I can hear it hitting the remaining bump stop
- It pogos down the road with every bump.

Visually, it looks like a one spline drop when wheels on, but I can see it's almost touching the remaining bump stop when the van is on all it's wheels. Surely this can't be right. But if I were to directly replace the spring plate so it was in the same position as the original one I will of course get the torsion arm resistance back, but it won't be very low (even though it's already hipped and has adjustment on the screw).

Help ;-( I want to burn it to the ground. It's taken me the best part of two months to lower it and the first drive out in it is really really bad.

I am also having 'fun' with TPH Adjustable Spring plates. I think instructions should have been supplied or at the very minimum a bit of paper to show you what the default position of the plates are, otherwise you can end up installing them too high or low. :|

My thread here may help you and your thought process:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the plates are fitted ok and it's probably down to my shocks which are standard (and probably knackered).

Just spoke to someone who put Beetle rear shocks on which fixed the problem and also read up on here with similar advise. So will give it a try at £31 a pair from GSF!

Was told to jump up and down on the bumper and see how much travel the shock has. I am guessing not a great deal.

Latest posts