American wiring to UK spec wiring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman86

Reaction score
Just need some help on what to change wiring wise to separate the break lights from the indicators at the rear of an American bus. Indicatators are now in the reverse lenses and rear lights in the original positions but when breaking the indicators come on. The original help links for this are no longer working and I can’t find any other straight forward how to’s.

From memory, you have to pull a wire from the master cylinder to the brake lights and change a cable on the hazard or light switch.

Just found this if it helps

Look at these wiring diagrams https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... nBrake.jpg https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... lights.jpg
keep pin 58 on the rear as a tail light feed, pin 54 feed (black/ yellow and black/ red) take from the rear light unit and connect to the reverse light (reverse feed wire disconnected first).

Run a wire from front to back, at the rear connect to now available pin 54 (stop light) and piggy back to the opposite light.

At the front is where the 68 wiring diagram looks different to my 71, mine has a hazard switch which i removed the feed from the brake pressure switch (pin 54), i connected this to the new feed to brake lights.

On the 68 wiring diagram if you look at item J (flasher relay?) try removing the green wire to pin 54, the one which is fed from items J1 and J4 and connecting this to your new brake light feed.

Cheers fellas that all helps. those links did not come up with anything when I clicked on them though. Iv had a real problem with the electrics since the hazard switch had disintegrated, rear wiring was nonexistent and the original indicator stalk had also disintegrated as well as a second hand replacement I bought.
I am finally there now all lights working as they should for an MOT and just a few minor works for interior lights and dash lights to finish.

Hi

Did this myself last year on my 71 Westy

I made changed the wiring slightly so the brake lights were on there own circuit really easy to do.

And made my own indicator circuit had to buy 10 metres of wire this one was a little complicated as I had to separate it from the brake circuit.

I’ll PM my phone number if you need help but It’s worth it so everything is UK Spec.

There are driving bulbs that combine indicator amber and white light into one bulb, so if you feeling techy that would give you reversing light as well as indicators in your clear rear lenses.

Latest posts