Anybody know about planning permission and garages????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba dubba

Reaction score
Hello all,
im bloody pissed off watching my van getting a bashing from all this wind and rain :( , so ive decided to bite the bullet and build a garage in the garden,(providing i can? )..........i was wondering if anybody had experience in this? im confused on the whole you dont if its a certain size or as long as its not too high or near your neighbours boundary type of thing?????????........also does anyone know much about prefab concrete types, are they any good? or should i go down the proper brick and tiled roof option...........so many questions :?

cheers in advance...............kev :D

give your local council a buzz friend , they`ll fill you in on all the bumf......then build it as big as possible :lol:
lucky you`ve got the room ;)

I had mine built .. and thought the planning would be an issue as it has to fit in with 'the rules' like you say ..

from memory they are something like :

Cant be too high
Cant take up more than a certain percentage of your land
has to be with 1m of your boundary
cant be too close to your house

if any of the above are breeched then you supposed to need planning .. however there is a simple form to fill out that you send off with your proposed details and then the write back and tell you if you need to apply for planning or not ..

I sent my form off with at least 2 of the above rules breeched ( mine is right on the border.. I mean who wants a 1mtr gap all round!) and just got a letter back saying planning was not required and go ahead and build it!

I went for a brick built with pitched roof about 1.5 times normal length and normal width .. I got bricks to match the house ( which were expensive ) and the garage ended up costing 7K..

.. but saying that my dad has a prefab one and that seems good .. although not got loads of headroom .. and with a pitched roof that is great for storage .

alot of the cost is in the footings .. so don't be shy and get a spade out!

hope that helps..

Hilly

cheers guys,
thats a great help,......... i was looking on the comptons website and they do any extra tall one,.handy has my bus is stock height (at present!), loadsa room for storage and to work in, im lucky in that i have one of them long narrow gardens, although i have no back access, i can get down the side of my house (removing some decking and shed and plants etc)...bit of work but worth it, and then make a runway down to the end, and the previous owner of the house has already put a base down for a double garage, so alot done already........ive sort of been putting it off for a while but we have decided to stay put, so finally im getting a garage/ workshop wooohooo!!!!!!!

just gotta lie to the wife about cost and i should be good to go!...........kev :D :D

Go for it Kev. Let us know how you get on. :D

I have a garage.... but it's too small for my bus to fit in :| , although it is out of all the weather, in a nice comfy shed on a nearby farm. :)

.. look at the big wooden workshop ones ..

thought these were a good price and look cool too..

Hilly

This site gives quite a good overview of the m ain rules and principles

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=7&nav=0,5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nigel

cheers guys,..............that link was a good one.........had a brief chat to the planning office today, and found them to be very helpful, dont know why but i didnt think they would be, ive gotta do a simple sketch with dimensions of garage and where i want it etc and email it over and they will tell me if i need permission or not,.............simples!!!! :) think im probably gonna go for a brick plinth and then build the rest out of wood, (like Tommy walsh's workshop), got a builder coming round to give me a quote in the next couple of days,

thanks again................kev

timber is better than the sectional concrete ones, it may be worth you looking for a timber frame company around your way as they can make the four panels needed and trusses within a very short period, if you then batten the panel out on the outside and fix a feather edge type board to the face, internally then at your pace you can fill the back of the frame with insulation and cover with chipboard/plywood warm as toast then internally. This should be one of the cheapest ways of building a garage.

If you are thinking timber frame, take a look at Potten garages..

http://www.potton.co.uk/Garage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice!! 8)

bubba dubba said:
cheers guys,..............that link was a good one.........had a brief chat to the planning office today, and found them to be very helpful, dont know why but i didnt think they would be, ive gotta do a simple sketch with dimensions of garage and where i want it etc and email it over and they will tell me if i need permission or not,.............simples!!!! :) think im probably gonna go for a brick plinth and then build the rest out of wood, (like Tommy walsh's workshop), got a builder coming round to give me a quote in the next couple of days,

thanks again................kev

Give us a shout if you need a second quote, husband is a builder and he will need practice for when he builds one for me ;)

We're near Eastleigh :)

Latest posts