Anyone Identify My Poptop? I may have mounted it wrong!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp

Reaction score
Originally my bus had a standard 2 piece devon concertina type poptop but PO had fitted a sunroof in it which leaked and struts wouldn't hold it up and was genrally rubbish.

I managed to get hold of another poptop which was a similar design being 2 piece but had a larger bottom half and a rounded edged top half. It also had Vinyl bellows NOT of the concertina type.

Poptop_1.jpg

One thing I didn't like about the new top was it was a bit taller than the original so I ended up keeping the original Devon lower cap bit and using it with the new top half. (is there a better name for these 2 bits of the roof :) )

Anyway I've been putting new canvas bellows on my poptop which I mostly completed last night and when I came to pull the roof down it went back and forth with front popping up then back popping back up and was really difficult to get it down in general.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same top as I'm wondering if I have mounted the brackets in the wrong place as I had to guess where they went.

Anyway some pics

Poptop_2.jpg

Poptop_3.jpg

Westy Style :)

Poptop_4.jpg

The picture looks like a standard devon pop top with a JK roof cap on.

These are glued over the original roof to stop leaks, but because of the extra weight, the springs are changed for stronger ones..

could it be you have the strong springs in with the now lighter roof and not allowing it to close easily?

Hilly

Had some feedback from vzi which suggest it might be a Holdsworth which from a few pics I found using google looks a good shout. The roof hasn't got a cap on it from what I can see all looks one lump of fibreglass with the mounts for the struts moulded in. They certainly feel like the springs are too strong although they sound more like gas struts as they swoosh up !

here is a pic of a holdsworth I found

The base that sits on the van roof certainly appears to be a Devon design, and your internal pics suggest that the Devon bunk beds were once installed, as the covers are still there (the flap with the press studs on that runs the length of the cut in the bus roof). So it looks safe to conclude that a Devon pop top did reside there at some point atop the base.

That cap does not look like a Devon or a JK aftermarket cap however, so it could well be a Holdsworth, although I haven't a clue what a Holdsworth looks like, how it operates, etc., sorry Those fittings don't look like a Devon either so alternatively you may have a one-off freakish bastard son of a Devon and a Holdsworth :shock: Now that would be different. :D

Kev

KevH said:
The base that sits on the van roof certainly appears to be a Devon design, and your internal pics suggest that the Devon bunk beds were once installed, as the covers are still there (the flap with the press studs on that runs the length of the cut in the bus roof). So it looks safe to conclude that a Devon pop top did reside there at some point atop the base.

That cap does not look like a Devon or a JK aftermarket cap however, so it could well be a Holdsworth, although I haven't a clue what a Holdsworth looks like, how it operates, etc., sorry Those fittings don't look like a Devon either so alternatively you may have a one-off freakish bastard son of a Devon and a Holdsworth :shock: Now that would be different. :D

Kev

Thanks for the reply Kev, I can confirm it is the original devon base but I replaced the cap from another van which also had a devon style base but was a few inches thicker. In an attempt to reduce drag I stuck with the original Devon base and scrapped the devon cap as it was FUBAR. So you are totally right in saying I have a bastardised roof set up .. a Hevon maybe :)

Here are some pics of my bus with the orignal roof on

6.jpg

31.jpg

Latest posts