B*****ks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faux

Reaction score
Got to the bottom of the hill i live on to see oil light on.
Had a look and no oil. Rang my wife to pick me and the kids up and this was on the drive:

284C3C3C-A0AC-41C2-9D06-1A4695441159-331-0000003129218F9F.jpg

So a phone call to engine builder and a trip on the dreaded recovery wagon:

5468A897-D127-4B0F-AC73-F52B5469AD06-353-000000323CED4F85.jpg

E2742C4A-3573-4410-8209-BC8085A4CE2F-353-000000325DB69230.jpg

Luckily it was having the gearbox fitted on Saturday !!!

Feel for you, it happened to me, burst the seal on the fram oil filter, think I over revved it on a cold start before the oil had a chance to flow properly :(

I now check my remote filter as mine came loose and covered the garage floor two weeks ago,

Probably worth checking any remote filter one a month :shock:

Not sure what it was. I had taken it out for a spin the day before and it went well. There was no oil in the garage so it must have happened when I left it on tickover while I loaded up the kids.
I hope it is just a seal on the oil cooler, time will tell. No remote filter......

:shock: Hi Jon. Sorry to see this. I hope that you managed to catch it before it caused any damage.

All the best.

Si

Cali_bay said:
:shock: Hi Jon. Sorry to see this. I hope that you managed to catch it before it caused any damage.

All the best.

Si

I stopped pretty quickly, the engine wasn't hot and it wasn't making any horrible noises.
Fingers are firmly crossed for a oil cooler seal.

faux said:
Cali_bay said:

All the best.

Si

I stopped pretty quickly, the engine wasn't hot and it wasn't making any horrible noises.
Fingers are firmly crossed for a oil cooler seal.

Hopeful here as well, Jon.

All the best with that - what a mare :( hopefully nothing serious

Just another thought,with regard to oil on the drive ive found if you leave cat litter on it, it soaks up most of the mess and pulls some of it out of those paving bricks.

Hi Jon,,,, I keep flicking back to this thread hoping for some good news before I zoom off up to crufts for the rest of the week. I guess you know that we all got our fingers crossed for you ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, And everything else :mrgreen:

As above - hope its sorted and not serious. If its blown a seal or similar due to high oil pressure when cold then, if you havnt already, use 15/40 multigrade. Its thinner than straight (prehistoric) 30 when cold.

It would also be worth while checking that both the oil pressure relif valves are working / not sticking.

oiling_system.jpg

Trikky2 said:
As above - hope its sorted and not serious. If its blown a seal or similar due to high oil pressure when cold then, if you havnt already, use 15/40 multigrade. Its thinner than straight (prehistoric) 30 when cold.

It would also be worth while checking that both the oil pressure relif valves are working / not sticking.

oiling_system.jpg

Thanks Trikky
Yes I switched to 15/40 a few years back after seeing all of the comments on here.
I have to be honest, I am not an engine man and do very little in this area. That is why I have a very simple set up and my engine builder is the same person who MOT's and services my bus.
This may give me the jump start I need to get involved, but sometimes a little knowledge can be worse than no knowledge at all.
I'm up there on Saturday to do the gearbox so should know more then.
The only thing I'm stressing about is missing Volksworld.
Jon

Latest posts