bay/split

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lobus said:
Nice work, but little roasting dish vents look like Cack.

They look better in the flesh. Work about twice aswell as normal vents, so are far better than "cack" :wink:

The stripes are sprayed on aswell, look the balls when viewed not in a garage 8)

some pretty critical comments guys :( each to there own and all that after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder .takes a lot to make your own mark these days buses are becoming so popular its hard to be individual but like them or not theres a few less of these than there are early bays .maybe i just love all things veedub but i admire individuality :D

I don't mean to destroy anyone's state of mind, I did say it was geat workmanship!
I'll rephrase my critique on the vents. "I don't like them at all." the beauty of early bays is all the curves, the later jobbies went all geometrical and angular.
I would also like to see the evidence of them working better then the OG vents too. In their location down there they would be an obstacle ot hips and any other bodily part that got in their proximity.

Just my opinion of course and I don't for a moment think I have a mortgage on taste.
David

I quite fancy either a SA or Brazilia bay.

http://img.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/img?s=MLB&f=66385342_1615.jpg&v=O

http://img.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/img?s=MLB&f=66385342_9320.jpg&v=O

I would fit early rear lights & smooth the front off though. I am sure they run king & link pin front with disks & IRS rear. It was made to be slammed! The ribbed front doors are a bit nasty, they had those after about 1989 or so I think.

I have too many toys already so unless I sold everything it would never happen. Shame.

I don't like the splitty front on a bay. A bay is a good van & splits a re not!

Not early bay pictures, but I thought I'd put up a couple of pictures of the latest watercooled Brazilian bays for those who might not have come across them.
I went to the Danbury Motorcaravans factory three or four weeks ago and snapped a load of piccies. (Apologies Pete Nice if your links contain similar. I can't get them to work on my computer, so I can't check.) :D

The first pic shows very clearly the rad on the front:
Picture463.jpg

This next picture shows the rad disguised in a dummy spare wheel carrier:
Picture441.jpg

:D

There awfull, seen these before at shows...

The rads completly out there styled by a 3 year old with a box of crayolas.

The roofline is horrible some way to a high top without the character.

The door edge dont look good

The front fresh air intake looks naff

Why retain the rear vents when the coolings up front?

The bumpers are harking back to halycon days but not working for me

The mirrors on the blue one look shite

And when you see one in the flesh the engine bay looks a pile of crap....

Obviously people likethe idea of them since they sell a few, just leave me to my early...

Tradition would be an air cooled lump :D

I did forget to add that internally they are quite well specced.......very tidy looking.....and I like the spare carriers....

I went to a lecture on the development of the type 2 from the original Ben Pon sketch up to the T4, they left the vents on the T3 to carry over as they were redundant after the waterboiler motor went in.
The factory guy actually said it was for "Tradition" so that is why I said that.

He was a retired engineer and it was a very intersting talk too.

Its always interesting hearing people's views on these buses. :D

Lobus, they are powered by the Polo 1.4 engine. Drive by wire technology I believe at that! :D

Here are some more pics....

Familliar scene in here. The instrument cluster has been updated on the new watercooled bays...
Picture435.jpg

Not quite such a familliar scene in here!....
Picture153.jpg

One for the panel van fans.....
Picture425.jpg

:D

Doesn,t look too bad in panel van guise. If you fitted a set of original style mirrors, that dummy spare wheel carrier, replaced the upper grille with an original and fitted clear indicators maybe even blank them off and fit early ones on :wink:
would be a lot cheaper than the crappy french money pit I bought and practically had to give away, but then again would be alot dearer than a good original early bay panel. Yep original for me, after all heatings for wimps :D

now thats a fecking ugly van and at nearly 30 grand for the camper im surprised they sell them 3 grand more and you can get a t4 camper i know what id be buying