Both calipers seized on my 71 westy..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEXTER

Reaction score
:cry:

So I thought we were ready to go. We had the weekend planned out. Camping at a huge music festival about an hour and a half away. Windshield went in this morning.. just a little brake work to go. Or that's what we thought. Looks like it will be a tent as usual now.

Both front calipers are seized, and my 70 parts van only has rusty drums. What should I do? I'm thinking I'll buy new, but I hear 71 and 72's are pretty hard to come by? Where should I buy them? I need them fast. I'm in Canada so they must ship here..They must must must must be on my next weekend for another planned trip. yargg!!

2 months of headaches now and plenty of money has floated away. rough.. :cry:

Like aaron says..

Dump them in a bucket of diesel for a couple of days and then try and blow them apart with an airline.
If you can get the pistons out then a seal kit will get you back up and running for a few quid.

Later caliper 'upgrade kits' can ber bought from JK etc.. but will cost you.

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/type-2-bay-original-vehicle-parts/braking-system/calipers/caliper-kit-both-sides-j12624.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BR

james

Thanks for the replies. Everything I have read tells me that They do not make new 71 or 72 calipers, but supposedly my mechanic got a hold of someone after 20 or so phone calls that said they could get them.. and cheap... about $75 each. I am confused.. so, we put rush delivery on them and they should be on the bus tomorrow. That is.. if they go on the bus at all. I donno.. I guess you could say I am skeptical.

If this does not work out I will tell him about the diesel trick and give that a try. Thanks again. : )

The calipers are perfect. They brake like a charm. Nice gold colored dual piston beasts. I'm impressed. Dexter is inspected and is on the road. Just got home from a good oil change and tune up. All is well!

I could probably do pretty good business buying and reselling them to you folks. hmm...

2009_07210104.jpg

2009_07210105.jpg

Latest posts