Brake Calipers, Missing Parts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_troupster

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 71's brakes and suspension. Can anyone tell me if I am missing or should I even have the stainless steel plates that fit between the caliper pistons and the brake pads. Most modern cars seem to have them and it looks like they are dipicted in most Bay caliper diagrams, but I can't find anyone that supplies them. Is this a worry?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Just looked on the parts list and it does show retaining plates part numbers 211 615 231 left side and 211 615 232 for right side not sure where you will find any just rebuilt mine with new seals ect and mine never had any fitted they are the same shape as the pads so shouldn't be too hard to make some up hope this helps

Cheers for the confirmation.

My only worry is that there is a step in the piston face so that it doesn't make contact with the pad around its entire circumferance. I dont' know if this is normal or weather it allows for the thickness of the plate in that area. I am worried that the step would cause un-even pressure on the pad and cause the piston to get squewied in the bore. It seems free to rotate so I cant figure how the step would allow for un even pressures due to the disc rotation.

Obviously an area of the van that I want to make sure is exactly as it should be.

Thanks,
Jim

When I stripped mine and removed the pistons there was no sign of any wear checked with a set of calipers and there was nothing no wear at all

I'd be very wary of rebuilding your calipers without the plates!

I rebuilt mine last year and it appears that the plates have a pressing that locates on the piston - this stops the piston from rotating as it moves in and out.
I'm not an engineer but I can't see that VW would have put it in there if it wasn't required - ultimately it's your brakes we're talking about here; do yourself (and others on the road) a favour and rebuild them as they should be!

I'm sure I have seen the backing plates for sale with some brake pad kits/caliper refurb kits - might be worth calling around the usual suppliers...

;)

Cool. :D

There's a couple of posts on the samba about it. Seems they are to help prevent sqeualing more than anything. My pistons/caliper bores look ok too so I think I'll rebuild as is, without them.

Now, is there a correct way to orinetate the pistons in the bores?

Haha, soz so many questions....

Jim

PS. There are 2 types along with the calipers, ATE and Girling. The earlier ATE style are a flat plate and don't have the cutout/retaining clip.... As far as I can tell???

Jim

they are only anti squeal/rattle shims and wont make any differance to the brake operation,but you might get brake squeal :msn4: put copper grease on the BACK :shock: of the pads to help

Latest posts