Brake fluid reservoir questions….!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all - I presuming I have an issue..?
I couldn’t see any level markets on the reservoir itself, but presume there should be fluid in there?
I’m not aware on fluid on the drive or a loss of brakes. Is it worth me topping it up and marking to see how quickly if at all it goes down?

3BE9F2AB-9D2C-4730-B9E8-43F9B8D2BF19.jpeg
Second question:
What route does the fluid take from the reservoir?
Straight down and out under the chassis, from there off to either corner?

I can’t see how it could be, but I’m wondering if this drop in level in anyway could be related to the marks on the passenger side carpet?
3EC0AA1A-AE91-4289-B209-230E81FCFE79.jpeg

Thanks
Ben

There's no level on the reservoir, fill it up to the raised seam. You need to keep it topped up to prevent air being drawn into the master cylinder and getting a spongy brake pedal.
The low pressure pipe runs down through the inner valance to the top of the master cylinder. The pipe may have chafed on the metalwork causing the fluid to leak onto the road. Mine's done exactly that.
Or the pipe is loose on the master cylinder. Might be worth having a look under the bus to see if there's any signs of fluid loss, or it could just be low on fluid.

I can't see how it would cause the stain on your carpet as the pipe runs under the cab floor on the opposite side.

There's no level on the reservoir, fill it up to the raised seam. You need to keep it topped up to prevent air being drawn into the master cylinder and getting a spongy brake pedal.
The low pressure pipe runs down through the inner valance to the top of the master cylinder. The pipe may have chafed on the metalwork causing the fluid to leak onto the road. Mine's done exactly that.
Or the pipe is loose on the master cylinder. Might be worth having a look under the bus to see if there's any signs of fluid loss, or it could just be low on fluid.

I can't see how it would cause the stain on your carpet as the pipe runs under the cab floor on the opposite side.
Evening @sparkywig !
Thanks for the info.
I’ll have a search and follow that pipe - it must be one of the only things I haven’t replaced so far!

Will top it up and keep an eye on it.
Do our buses just take DOT 4?

I agree about the stain on the other side - still trying to figure that out!!

Thanks again
Ben

As sparky said it needs to be full as its the feed for the main reservoir sat on top of the master cylinder underneath.

I would suspect the wet patch on your carpet the other side could be off the wiper spindle seal.

Thanks @Graham L !
bought some DOT 4 this morning so will top up and keep an eye on it. and check out the pipe routes.

Evening all - I presuming I have an issue..?
I couldn’t see any level markets on the reservoir itself, but presume there should be fluid in there?
I’m not aware on fluid on the drive or a loss of brakes. Is it worth me topping it up and marking to see how quickly if at all it goes down?

View attachment 3561
Second question:
What route does the fluid take from the reservoir?
Straight down and out under the chassis, from there off to either corner?

I can’t see how it could be, but I’m wondering if this drop in level in anyway could be related to the marks on the passenger side carpet?
View attachment 3562

Thanks
Ben
Hi, if the outside of the hose is wet the black rubber bush just above your finger will probably need replacing, there's also one on the other end of the hose where it connects to the top of the master cylinder. JK sell them.
My reservoir leaked from said bushes and the fluid did make it's way down to the cab floor, just below seat.
It should be easy to tell what your stain on the carpet is by smelling it I'd have thought. Gaz.

I

Latest posts