Brake warning light and switches

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap enough to swap for the heritage one with 2 switches then :D

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Looking around it looks like the ATE cylinders for the 70 only have one port for the switch. As long as it's working stick with it I guess..just check the lights every so often :)

Yes that’s right. But what’s the advantage of two switches?
Does only one switch mean that the warning light comes on only if one circuit goes but not the other one ?
That can’t be right.

Also I presume I need a wire to the front on the third connection to make it work. I just had a re wire done so I’m surprised it’s not connected up.

mike202 said:
Yes that’s right. But what’s the advantage of two switches?
Does only one switch mean that the warning light comes on only if one circuit goes but not the other one ?
That can’t be right.

Also I presume I need a wire to the front on the third connection to make it work. I just had a re wire done so I’m surprised it’s not connected up.

So with one switch the warning light won't work either with a 2 or 3 pin switch as the warning circuit relies on one switch working to put power to the warning light.

The advantage of 2 switches is that of one of them fails the other will still operate the brake lights, with a single switch that fails and your brake lights won't work.

These diagrams I found show how the 3 pin setup works, I guess if you had one 3 pin switch it would light the warning light every time you brake? I guess it would show the switch is still working!

b19f5512da27528d774df05ad2ff48c3.jpg

61435b75faf78e87c35230ad6a5d4a03.jpg
cbd42af993daddf9270a601b4e989bd0.jpg

These arrived this morning so I might get a chance to sort it at the weekend :)

9f4223232b5d95029cbf07866467487b.jpg

Latest posts