Budget Bike Carrier ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm after a bike rack to fit my van but I can't afford the best part of £200 for a Fiamma rack, has anyone got any suggestions for a budget rack that will take 3 bikes ?
Cheers Nick.

If you've got time keep your eye out for a 2nd hand fiamma. They're great quality and I only gave 30 notes for mine.

steamo said:
If you've got time keep your eye out for a 2nd hand fiamma. They're great quality and I only gave 30 notes for mine.
Thanks, I wouldn't mind paying that price :mrgreen: I'll have a look on fleabay.

Alex VW Heritage said:
cool air are doing a budget rack not sure i think it only takes 2 bikes though.

Thanks for the heads up Alex 8) I'll have a look.

Unfortunately it looks as though I need a tow ball to fit the coolair rack :cry:

I bought myself a Saris Bones bike rack, on offer at Costco a while back, about £100. Easily holds 3 bikes, plus you can fold it up small when you aren't using it.

I'm pretty sure the Fiamma racks for the Type 2 are only 2 bikes and I think the 3 bike versions are for T4's onwards. 3 bikes, particularly mountain bikes could be one hell of a weight hanging off 2 hinges on the rear door

AJB77 said:
I bought myself a Saris Bones bike rack, on offer at Costco a while back, about £100. Easily holds 3 bikes, plus you can fold it up small when you aren't using it.

Nice looking van 8) and the rack looks good too :)

Sydney1 said:
I'm pretty sure the Fiamma racks for the Type 2 are only 2 bikes and I think the 3 bike versions are for T4's onwards. 3 bikes, particularly mountain bikes could be one hell of a weight hanging off 2 hinges on the rear door

That's a good point I hadn't really thought about the weight hanging off the door :roll: has anyone had a problem from this ?

I got a Pendle...holds 3 bikes and only cost 60 odd quid new.
I hang it off the gutter so I don't pull the whole door off...still very heavy when loaded, but made it many many miles without any problems....so far!
Cheers
Al

Bundy said:
I got a Pendle...holds 3 bikes and only cost 60 odd quid new.
I hang it off the gutter so I don't pull the whole door off...still very heavy when loaded, but made it many many miles without any problems....so far!
Cheers
Al
I like the look of that Al and no problems with the lights or number plate being covered 8)

What is the best bike rack to buy? I mean in terms of quality, how well they fit, how safe they are, how best they work along side your pride and joy? (Keeping the bikes away from your paint, not stressing out body work or hinges?)

Brett.

Latest posts