Buying from the States

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggyXO

Reaction score
Anybody done this ? I'm after an Alternator and found it's cheaper even with postage then buying
at home,I even found a 90 amp alt For £170 posted but think i don't need to run a mobile disco from my bus :D

I buy parts from anyone with the best deal and quality all around the world. Bought stuff from the US and all over Europe with no problems at all. Just remember to add VAT/duty to your purchase and postage costs and keep in mind not all sellers will refund your shipping if things go wrong.

have you tried getting one from Peter Good.......
http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like aspro said, bare in mind about import duties.

Most of the time I've gotten away with it but on the few occasions I've been stung it puts the item in question more or less the same price I'd pay here.

I did buy a lot of engine bits (basically complete engine in bits including case) and the guy I bought it from knew the score with the customs, so he was marking all the paperwork as "second hand spares" or as a "gift" which can get round the customs.

Worth asking the supplier to do it, although a lot of the big companies won't.

The only trouble with marking the value down is if it "disappears" in transit. You can only claim for the value on the forms.
Be careful about not paying duty, I got caught for £450 of back dated duty last year. The invoice had every package delivered over the last couple of years.

Latest posts