Caliper question please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvm

Reaction score
I've got a pair of front calipers in the garage which need rebuilding. How do I tell which year they are? The body is too pitted to read any part numbers

Thanks
keith :)

How about post some pictures up? Someone might be able to tell from that.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

early 71/72 will have 12mm bolt holes and later ones 73 up to 86 will have 14mm bolt holes :wink:

if you want i can take some pics of a 71 early set with the larger bolts, i have lying in my shed, the later >72 caliper generally have 2 bleed nipples, earlier one have one bleed nipple.

Its hard to find bits for the earlier caliper, like refurb kits and pads etc.

Thanks for the replies.
It looks like they are later ones. There are two bleed nipples and the bolt holes are 14mm - though one on each caliper has a step and opens out to 16mm. You can see it on the pic below. Do I need shouldered bolts for these?
aga.sized.jpg

afz.sized.jpg

I'll get a couple of recons ordered. They will be going on this (No bay, please don't hurt me :) )
l_3c800129aaff5d055f7f531b20865b47.jpg

right lads no help for this one, splitty owner indeed! :shock:

only joking son :wink: ive always liked those merc turbine alloys, looking good.
the bolts are funny buggers, the top one is different to the bottom one. they should both be shouldered but one has a longer shank (non threaded area) :wink:

your lucky as the late ones are easy to find.

The early ones are a bollox to refurb as parts are rare. And its damn expensive if you want to replace the caliper completely, i was quoted £180 each :shock: for second hand .

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
The early ones are a bollox to refurb as parts are rare. And its damn expensive if you want to replace the caliper completely, i was quoted £180 each :shock: for second hand .

I can help you out there. I picked up my recon calipers earlier (well, NS one as the OS isn't on stock till next week) and they also have the early ones in stock too.
I did think about buying a pair to sell on but TBO I'd rather the person those gonna use them makes the saving.

The best bit: 43.33 +vat each (Exchange)

For just a measly £5 paid into my paypal, I'll tell you where they are.......or you can look below :wink:

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/ The Bolton branch have them on stock 01204 385888

Thanks for the comments SK. The bolts are my next buy so if anyone has some knocking around.... :wink:

Latest posts