Carb Jet issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Hello, I have been told my carb is rubbish, there is some air screw missing and it needs a re build, it is also very very old, so it wouldn't hurt to get a new one, I don't have alot of money and need it on the road soon, what is the best single carb to go for?

Also I have been told it is only firing on 3 cylinders is this just a simple cause on new spark plugs :D

Can I do this all myself, like fit the carb I need to do as much as I can.

Thank you in advance :D

If it's only firing on 3 cylinders,then that should be your priority to fix first.Find out what the problem is and what cylinder it is first.The first thing to do is with the engine running and using some insulated pliers,pull each lead off of the dizzy cap off and see if the engine speed drops.Do the test at idle and also at a steady higher speed.Also note any spark present there.If it does then that cylinder is okay,so check all and see which one doesn't change engine speed first.Once you've found which one it is you could try swapping/checking plugs and leads,dizzy cap first.If still no good check the compressions and also a leaking manifold gasket can cause missfiring on one cylinder.It could all turn out to be the carburettor is causing the missfire.
It's a lot easier to do than explain.

That sounds easy enough dude :) is it worth pulling the plugs first just to see if they are fine

Shaggy said:
Hello, I have been told my carb is rubbish, there is some air screw missing and it needs a re build, it is also very very old, so it wouldn't hurt to get a new one, I don't have alot of money and need it on the road soon, what is the best single carb to go for?

Also I have been told it is only firing on 3 cylinders is this just a simple cause on new spark plugs :D

Can I do this all myself, like fit the carb I need to do as much as I can.

Thank you in advance :D

i had the same problem, i stripped the carb cleaned and rebuilt it with a refurb kit, good as new now. You can buy all the parts including air mixture screws but i would guess its not the screw missing but one of the o-rings that might need replaced on it which come with a refurb kit, before throwing the carb away try a clean and rebuild. If i can do it anyone can :wink: .

re: firing on three cylinders; I had the same problem too which ended up being a badly fitting plug. I had to take the head of and have it reemeed and a heli-coil fitted at a local shop, this basically is a coil that screws into the damaged thread in the head, it was a cheap job to do £30 or so to fix. Find out which cylinder isnt firing and check the plug is the right length and fits tightly.

Thank you Johnny, do you know where you got your refurb kit, and how much, I would like to do that job sounds like fun, I will be checking the plugs tonight, I have four new ones, Its been running rich of a while and I took one out last night it was shall we say BLACK so I think thats my problem, I have been looking at pics of carbs online and I don't think I have anything missing, but I do want to rebuild it, so I might PM if I have any problems if thats ok :D

no worries pm me if you need a hand.

you can get the refurb kits in GSF cheaply, the parts will be slightly different due to improved design like the float needle valve will look different but dont worry it will all fit. the kit comes with several different gaskets to suit different carbs but there will be one to fit your in their. i just used gunk to clean everything and compressed air to blow out the jets etc but you can buy a tin of air that will do the same thing or if your lungs are big enough :)

theres a comprehensive diagram comes with the kit which shows all the different parts. it is alot simpler than it looks.

how to dissamble and clean:
http://www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html

Hardest part is adjusting the carb when you have it back on. check this out as it tells you everything you need to know

how to adjust:
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html#carb

Shaggy said:
Thanks man, that site really is great :D and so are you....haha :oops:

Well... thanks... kinda :p :wink:

I've learned from my mistakes and i've made a few to many, most of which cost me too much money :oops: . Carbs were the first think i tackled when i got the bus and i nearly shit myself when i saw the diagram, "wow look at all the parts" but it was so much easier than i thought.

Well the story so far, I have replaced the plugs and started up a dream :D

I have taken the carb off and got a rebuild kit so that will be a job for tomorrow :D

Have you definately got a screw missing from the carb? If so I might have an old carb with a screw I can send you,what carb have you got and can you post a picture dude?

Hello, I have been looking at the carb and there is nothing missing, just all a bit worn.

Shaggy said:
Hello, I have been looking at the carb and there is nothing missing, just all a bit worn.

if your have a leak at either of the screws its most likely a worn o-ring, the screws are quite long and definitely wouldnt work their way out.

Yeah I was thinking that, the gaskets are a bit rough as well, I was thinking is it worth getting a new jet or does that come in the kit, I am being lazy and have not looked :D

i wouldnt change the jets unless you've upgraded the engine. you can buy them separately but a good soak in carb cleaner or other cleaning fluid and blast of air will clear them and the carb shold be jetted correctly for your engine anyway, unless someone was messing with them.

I just wasn't sure how much they wear, what sort of cleaner did you use?

sorry I am asking so many question :oops:

Like Johnny says,carb cleaner is the best thing to use and available at any motor factors.It's a bit like nail varnish remover,so if you've any of that lying around you could soak them in that too.And a blast of air through the holes is recommended.Have a read through a workshop manual to get round how it goes together and what adjustments are needed.Take pictures for reference as you go along.

Ok the carb is in bits :D I have taken out the Main Jet and the number on it is X125 now it says I should have X127.5 should I change this, if so, where do I get one from that has solex and the number stamped on and do I then have to change anything else?

Thank you

Just an edit I have a 1641cc my carb I guess is for a 1600cc so is it best to run oversize a little say X130 which they say is a little rich for a 1600cc but then they like to run rich. but do I then need to adjust any other jets?

Idel Jet 55 and air correction jet 60Z

Ok the more I read a X125 is normal for a bus, I have a 009 dizzy should I change this to a vac dizzy as one person is saying the 34pict3 is not very good with a 009 because there is not enough vacuum to pull the fuel through so he soldered up the big whole in the throttle plate and upped the main jet size from X125 - X127.5 for a bus, now what would be the best thing for me to do?

ditch the 009 and get a good used vac advance dizzy and i bet all your probelms will be solved :wink:

i thought you had a standard 1600... sorry,
i assume youve read this? it might be the best option on your budget.

http://www.airsupplyvw.co.uk/flubberdubbers/solexwith009.html

i dont know any UK stockists for solex jets but these guys are good with hard to find parts

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/Solex-Carburetor-Main-Jet-ca-333-pr-3890-pg-1.html

ive bought from them before.

Latest posts