Colorado & Utah trip pix - story continues..... and now ends

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slammedresto said:
ib-bus said:
slammedresto said:
i wish i was a poorly paid mexican-american............lol

No need to get personal Gary :shock: :lol:

;) 8)

You should send some of your vacation pics and story to Volksworld camper and bus Juan, they love a roadtrip story for the magazine

you need a week in clacton to put things in perspective next vacation Juan :lol:

I did sent the story and pictures to them a few months ago that's why the delay on posting it here , no response just yet.
Clacton seems to be close to my path to Vanfest next year , do monkeys also come out at night there ?

[/quote]

I did sent the story and pictures to them a few months ago that's why the delay on posting it here , no response just yet.
Clacton seems to be close to my path to Vanfest next year , do monkeys also come out at night there ?[/quote]

monkeys?????

put

down

the

tequilla

Clacton seems to be close to my path to Vanfest next year , do monkeys also come out at night there ?[/quote]

monkeys?????

put

down

the

tequilla[/quote]

Damn , there you go again with the stereotype references :shock: :lol:

To think that this German made van lived most of it's life in France until the Duny family decided to embark in a trip of a lifetime and ship their precious van to America , they drove the van to Belgium and got it on a roll on roll off ship to be delivered to Canada where they would later catch up and begin a journey across Northern America and a good part of central America.
They had a year to finish the trip so they were in no hurry to get anywhere , imagine a trip beginning in Canada , coming across into the States thru New York and go on a cross country drive all the way to the California border with Mexico.
But before that happened as mentioned before in this post I met them by chance at Utah's Arches National Park where I offered to help them trace a safe route across Mexico. Their trip continued safely across Mexico until they reached Playa del Carmen near Cancun , they fell in love with Playa del Carmen and spent at least a month here before continuing their trip south.
But before they did that they wanted to find a home for their van after their trip ended a few months later , that's where I come in again as mentioned in the post earlier, we made a deal and the plan was for my family and I to pick the van up in Playa del Carmen when they were back from Costa Rica. Once we had a deal their journey continued thru Belize , Guatemala , Nicaragua , Honduras and finally Costa Rica.
One thing they mentioned is that as soon as they left Playa del Carmen all they wanted is to get back to it , so once they reached their goal they turn around and spent the last 2 months of their holiday in the seaside camping ground of Xpu-Ha in Playa del Carmen.
We picked up the van headed north towards Mexico City where we would get the van on a truck to meet us at the Tijuana / San Diego border a few weeks later. Once in northern Mexico the van had to wait for the import process and that took a few months , the only importer that does T25s had never imported a European van coming thru the Mexican border so it was a learning experience.
Once in the States the van was up for sale as that was the plan from the beginning , the van sold right away and we made a deal to deliver it to it's new home in Seattle , Washington. Again I was placing my family on another VW adventure , Seattle is 1250 miles from San Diego but the drive along the coast is really nice.
We left San Diego and our first stop was Solvang.

julio251.jpg

julio238.jpg

julio239.jpg

julio240.jpg

julio242.jpg

julio243.jpg

julio246.jpg

julio250.jpg

julio272.jpg

julio273.jpg

Our next stop was Morro Bay where we spent the night at a camping ground.

julio274.jpg

julio278.jpg

julio276.jpg

julio294.jpg

julio296.jpg

Next day on Highway 1

julio302.jpg

julio299.jpg

Heading north on Highway 1 towards Monterey we noticed the van was getting a bit hot so after checking things out we noticed a blown water hose so it was time to call the tow truck.

julio340.jpg

We landed at the German Motorwerks shop in Monterey and they found the blown hose was caused by a faulty belt to the water pump , no further damage was done so after sourcing the new parts they got us fixed rather quick.

julio308.jpg

julio309.jpg

A few hours later we continued our journey now heading towards Seattle.

julio316.jpg

julio333.jpg

Rest areas where you can take a break and let the kids stretch.

julio311.jpg

julio314.jpg

julio315.jpg

Arriving to Portland , Oregon.

julio322.jpg

Crossing the Columbia river between Oregon and Washington states.

julio327.jpg

julio330.jpg

Another rest area now in Washington state.

julio352.jpg

julio337.jpg

Someone save the trees !!!

julio355.jpg

Arriving in Seattle and parked by the famous Space Needle.

julio358.jpg

Can you spot the Westy below ?

julio362.jpg

Seattle city views.

julio359.jpg

julio360.jpg

julio361.jpg

julio387.jpg

julio380.jpg

Mount Rainier on the background.

julio370.jpg

Small plane landing , follow it's trace.

julio372.jpg

julio373.jpg

julio374.jpg

julio376.jpg

julio377.jpg

julio378.jpg

julio379.jpg

Now another one taking off.

julio382.jpg

julio383.jpg

julio384.jpg

julio385.jpg

julio386.jpg

Hours later we delivered the van to the new happy onwer and flew back to San Diego , the wife and the kids loved the trip and I got to enjoy another Westy adventure.

Our next big trip is to take our newly aquired '68 Westy to a show in the UK , we are aiming for Volksworld show in march but first we need to finish the resto so keep an eye on my other thread for that story.

Cheers.

Juan.

Latest posts