Cracked Inlet manifold? and exhaust query

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed at the weekend that my inlet manifold appears to have a crack through the it. On closer inspection, it looks like it's just the alloy casting. Do you think it maybe cracked all the way through and what is the purpose of the casing? I'd have thought that it would run like absolute rubbish if it had! Does anyone have any idea what caused it other that 40 years worth of engine vibrations?

Second question is that I need to get a new exhaust as mine has a hole around where the tailpipe connector joins the exhaust. Looking at this one at VW Heritage that is currently on offer,(http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Exhaust-Silencer-1-6-71-73-for-long-2-Pce-damper-pipe_act_shop.product_pID_109646_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbPageToLoad=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), any reason why this won't fit on a J reg 1971 early bay with an AD code engine?

Thanks in advance,
Termite.

Here's the pics of the inlet manifold...

imag0563v.jpg

imag0565f.jpg

that is just the heat transfer section (thats the name i think), the manifold or risers themselves dont looked cracked. but it's easily replaced, it will help when its cold

and that exhaust looks fine

Thanks Analog, much appreciated. They easy to replace with the engine in? I just know if I have the engine out, I'll end up doing loads of other jobs to it!

yeah no big drama replacing the exhaust with the engine in, take your rear bumper and valance off and its easy,
but if that is a single port manifold it may be a little harder in situ, i did it before, but it was painful, waay easier when the engine is out.

Hi Analog,

I meant is the inlet manifold easy to replace rather than the exhaust. I've already started covering the nuts on the exhaust with liquid spanner :lol:

Cheers, not heard of JB Weld before.

I bought a new exhaust today and have covered everything in penetrating fluid before a good swearing session with a hangover tomorrow. I imagine the new dremmel christmas present and the grinder will be coming out to get that exhaust off!

I have noticed a small hole in the heater riser pipe on the manifold, so it looks like that is going to have to come off (might as well while I have a new exhaust to go on). Anyone know of a guide for removing the manifold while the engine is in? Doing a search for one at the moment. I've gota standard carb, stock air filter and dynamo.

bertiethebus said:
Small ring spanner and skinned knuckles :msn4:

Haha - fully expecting to start new year with no skin on my knuckles :lol:

Well the exhaust came off fairly easily. Two sheared off bolts from the heater riser to the exhaust, one extra long stud that looks like an old bolt cut down was on the left hand side that I've had to retap and thread lock back in place. On the right hand side there was a 15mm bold holding it on rather than a 13mm nut. I've had to retap that one. Got to love these quirks....

New exhaust offered up and seems a goodish fit. Tailpipe wouldn't fit, so had to run a dremmel round the tailpipe to get it to slide in on the test fit.

I will need to replace the inlet manifold. I forgot I had a small hole in the preheat pipe anyway that I patched with a redbull can and jubilee clips, so it seems like I should get it out. I have two gaskets for the manifold to head, but should I renew the black rubber boots as well?

Latest posts