danbury buddy seat question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that info- nice interior your van has, those cushions are unbelievable after all that time. I'm definitely getting some boards sorted out!

I have a scanned copy of the original Danbury brochure and instruction leaflet for the various layouts (dining, single/double beds etc) which I can email to you if you PM me your email address

cracking day for Dubfreeze

Thanks for email with layout instructions.

I have gone photo crazy to illustrate the greatness of the Danbury. I have the table, 2 'T' boards, 2 long boards and 2 short boards. The table has 4 legs so it can be used out of the van.

Firstly part of the instructions
danburylayout.jpg

Fig.1
Driving position (no cushions)
100_2715.jpg

Bench seat up front (no cushions)
100_2714.jpg

Up front with cushions
100_2716.jpg

Fig.2
Dining arrangement
100_2722.jpg

Fig.3
2 single beds (the sink could be placed between the heads on the bench seat)
100_2719.jpg

Fig.4
Large Single (in the instructions it doesn't have the extra filler board but we use it like that as a small double)
100_2717.jpg

Fig.5
Large Double
100_2718.jpg

I haven't taken the back rest off to show using the area above the engine to make the beds longer but that's pretty obvious!

In the colour brochure it also shows making an 'L' shape settee while cooking
100_2720.jpg

100_2723.jpg

100_2724.jpg

Price list, piccie from Ebay. ( i forgot to bid!)
danburyprices.jpg

So many configurations aren't there! :D

When we were little, us kids amused ourselves for hours making up dens of all shapes and sizes with the cushions and boards whilst underway. :lol:

I still don't know how our family of six used to manage to all sleep in the van at night, but we did! :lol:

Six seems a lot Doug...looking at that brochure though- family of four and two dogs? Wouldn't fancy cuddling up to that Great Dane regardless of board layout!

Six in a danbury...no problem.

2 in the pop top, 2 on the bed, 1 on the cab bunk and 1 on the luggage area above the engine (or in the main bed if set up as full width) :lol:

Rosko said:
Six seems a lot Doug...looking at that brochure though- family of four and two dogs? Wouldn't fancy cuddling up to that Great Dane regardless of board layout!

It is, Rosko! And Halpint-Fighter, ours was a tin-top! :lol:

I'm going back about 35 years now, but I think the way we did it was with my oldest brother across the cab seats, my parents and another brother on the main bed, and us two younger boys on the engine deck. :D

The removable sink in ours was taken out and never put back. My dad then mounted the tap on the wooden upright that formed a kind of wardrobe when an additional curtain was pulled up against it. (Most Danburys seem to have lost this upright, probably because it wasted space in the back.) :)

We very quickly got a house-tent. My folks then had the van to themselves, and us kids had the run of the tent! :lol:

Some excellent info & pics 8) When I first got mine, which is a 1970 tintop, the piece of wood to make the middle seat (not sure if it was for the cab or the rear) had a backrest attached on a hinge! The piece was pretty knackered & unfortunately got left behind when I moved :cry: We are 6 & a dog in ours so we've always had a canvas dependancy :lol: although now it is for the kids & we have the van 8)

We still have original seat covers under new coverings, and we have cut pieces of wood to suit our needs. We've always used the seat boxes as rear-facing so just made backrests, and with no sink, a full width backrest at the rear. I have managed to carry 8 passengers all seated with no problem, although I'm not entirely sure if it is legal, but the plans say it can be done so clearly Danbury intended this.

On a slightly different note, the Channel 5 camper test! The worst thing about those Brazilian abominations is their blackening of the Danbury image, oh yeah and their shit.

the t-shaped boards you refer to aren't straight they have a slight bend in them but if you want measurements let me know. I'm attempting to get mine back to 100% standard by gradually replacing parts as i find them.

Also worth noting that spirit of the 50s I'm sure have found a company that supplies a fabric that is very close to the original blue material the covers came in! :)

Latest posts