Devon Pop top help required. PLEASE!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester Copperpot

Reaction score
Hi All,
I viewed a 1968 RHD pop top camper yesterday but need some info on the type it is before I decide to buy or not..

It has a rivited plate on one of the doors stating who did the conversion (Can't remember the name but it they were from Devon and sure it began with an S), but alas has none of the original interior left. Any ideas on who this company could be, and does anyone have any photos of how the interior/van should look in its original state????

Also, the main reason for buying it is to take the kids camping in it, hence the pop top.
Now although the pop top is there there is no bunkbeds or the other flat hardboard type (maybe Westifalia??) which I would prefer. Again, can someone please advise what it possibly had originally and is it easy enough to put in the flat hardboard type? Finally if so, where I can purchase the goods to do this.

Cheers for your help guys and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ste

http://www.devonmoonraker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Devon_Badges_Stickers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any of these ring a bell

Don't worry about poptops - buy an awning.

Having said that in my view Devon's are great and my Moonraker has small bunks on the level of the roof. No good for kids of 12+ I'd suggest.

Good luck!

Hi again!
Right, it is def a Devon conversion so I am halfway there!

However, does anyone know IF it is possible somehow to fit the flat/firm roof bed (West style) into the Devon van rather than have the hammock style as it was intended??

Thanks for your input and assistance

Ste

you should have two pull out bunks at either side of the poptop?, if they arent there they must be missing? i doubt if you could fit a flat bed bunk due to the arrangement of the roof. I'm getting on for 17 stone and can get into the bunk (after replacing the material for stronger canvas) but i wouldnt want to spend the night in it :lol: . Ideal for the kids although they will be up at daybreak as its fairly bright with the pop top open.

S ? i can only think of sunlander?

Can't find a pic of the badge used by Devon, but I'm certain they say...
"Devon Conversions" with Sidmouth below Could this be the mystery "S"

Was the rivited plate on the inside of the passenger door? sounds like it might say
J.P White & Son, Sidmouth (a few 'S's there)! if so its a Devon!

Hi
I have a 78 Devon and am also considering converting to flat bedboards from bunks. Is there any company that offers these conversions? :?

Latest posts